MailWasher Pro - Update - Access Denied

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Gerald
Rattled Rabbit

MailWasher Pro - Update - Access Denied

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:55 am

Hello All,

I have a problem with MailWasher Pro version 7.11.5 and updating the program. [Lifetime license.]

When I click on Help -> Check for Updates..., I receive an error message: "Access is denied." (reported to MailWasher Pro Support on 02-13-17.)

I received a response:

=== Begin Quote ===

First, (with MWPro closed) if you go into C:\\ProgramData\\Firetrust\\updates\ and delete the files updates.aiu and updates.aiu.part (if present)

See then if the updates work via Help>>Check for Updates.

If no, this can also happen if the update file is corrupted in your user files folder.... try copying updater.ini from help >> common files >> to help >> user files.

To do this......

- Open MWPro, click, Help>>Common Files
- Copy the "updater.ini" file to your desktop or another folder.
- Click, Help>>User Files,
- Minimize the folder that opens,
- Click File>>Exit to close MWPro,
- Maxamize that folder,
- Move the "updater.ini" file into that folder.

Restart MWpro and try updating again....?

=== End Quote ===

The above did NOT work! There are three "updater.ini" files on my system:

c:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher\updater.ini

[389 bytes - dated today]

c:\ProgramData\Firetrust\MailWasher\updater.ini

[390 bytes - dated 04-24-2018]

c:\Users\All Users\Firetrust\MailWasher\updater.ini

[390 bytes - dated 04-24-2018]

Now, I want to TOTALLY uninstall MailWasher Pro and reinstall, BUT I want to keep:

- the settings [two user accounts with passwords, friends list, blacklist, etc.]

Would someone please direct me to the correct files that I must save?

Thanking you in advance...

Gerald
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: MailWasher Pro - Update - Access Denied

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi Gerald

Under Settings >> General >> Updates >> what folder is listed there ?
I assume it is C:\ProgramData\Firetrust\updates\, assuming so, manually go to C:\ProgramData\Firetrust\ and delete the updates folder, then right click on whitespace >> select New >> Folder >> name it updates, try an update check..

To make a backup of all accounts and settings >> go File >> Export >> select a name and save location (don't store the export file in a MailWasher folder), opt to include Learning >> Export. Then you can uninstall MailWasher and select to wipe all data.
Once MailWasher is installed again, run the .MWP file to import the settings.
Gerald
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi rusticdog

Under Settings >> General >> Updates >> C:\Program Files (x86)\Firetrust\MailWasher\MailWasher Updates\

As you can see above, your assumption was incorrect. Onward to C:\ProgramData\Firetrust\, deleted the updates folder (it was empty anyway), created a new folder updates, tried an update check -- Access is denied.

Should I have exited MWP and then restarted it after doing the folder deletion / folder creation?

Now, before I go any further, should I specify the Settings >> General >> Updates should be C:\ProgramData\Firetrust\updates\ ???

I'll hold off with the backup procedure until I get a response to my query.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:04 pm

Yeah, click the Browse button and manually select the newly created C:\ProgramData\Firetrust\updates\

Hopefully that will get things back up and running.
Gerald
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi rusticdog

Thank you. That solved the issue. Now when I go Help >> Check for Updates... I get a message that says: "Your software is up to date"

Can I now delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Firetrust\MailWasher\MailWasher Updates\ folder? (Just the MailWasher Updates folder)

My current version is 7.11.5 but I see a version 7.11.10 released on 2 October 2018, but it's a minor version number update and I'm guessing that updates won't happen until version 7.12.0?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Yes, you can delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Firetrust\MailWasher\MailWasher Updates\

The later version has a fix for OAUTH token error, and a crash in the tutorial startup, so nothing worth worrying about unless effected. That's also why it's not on the auto-update system yet, as we do prefer to wait.
Gerald
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:09 am

Deleted the C:\Program Files (x86)\Firetrust\MailWasher\MailWasher Updates\ folder.

Thank you again. This issue has bothered me for too long and I'm glad it has finally been resolved.

Hope you and your family have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

--
Cheers ... Gerald
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:38 pm

You too Gerald, thanks!

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”