I have 1500 entries to put into my blacklist...

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
squeek73
Mystified Moa

I have 1500 entries to put into my blacklist...

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:14 am

I'm on Windows 10, MWP 7.11.5

I just created a new email address specifically for job offers, and I already have 12 SPAM emails from these stupid TLDs in the last 6 days.

I have a list of all the new TLDs (.science, .art, .attorney, .party, .yoga, .men, .trade, etc.) and I want to blacklist all of them except the REAL domains:

.com, .net, .org, .edu, and .gov, and MOST of the 2 character country codes.

If there's some way I can make the import button on settings/blacklist to do what any normal person would imagine it would do, please let me know.

If these need to go into filters.xml, I'm great at string manipulation in Excel and Textpad, so please give me the format. I'm guessing it's similar to the below, but there may be an easier way.

<Filter Name="star dot world" Enabled="True">
<MatchAll>False</MatchAll>
<Rating>-100</Rating>
<Colour>#FFCC0098</Colour>
<TextColour>White</TextColour>
<OverrideDelete>True</OverrideDelete>
<AutoDelete>False</AutoDelete>
<HideEmail>False</HideEmail>
<HideEmailOption>All</HideEmailOption>
<Rule>
<Field>From</Field>
<Operator>Contains</Operator>
<Type>PlainText</Type>
<Expression>*.*world</Expression>
</Rule>
</Filter>
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: I have 1500 entries to put into my blacklist...

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 am

How old are some of those entries? Since it is common for bad guys to use an email address for just a short period of time (because they get on the big blacklisting lists) I suspect most in your list are doing nothing. Personally, I feel the blacklist is only good to block people you personally know - like an ex-wife. Heck, even my crazy X learned after a couple months to stop sending me emails because I was not going to reply. So my blacklist is empty. I have not tested this but it seems to me with such a huge blacklist with 1500 addresses to check against, I would think that would slow down MW significantly.

If me and starting over, I would start with an empty Blacklist, then add names only if I get more than one spam not tagged by the other MW spam tools from that email address.

Curious - are you suggesting 12 spam messages in 6 days is a lot of spam?
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:20 am

MailWasher 7 can import from MailWasher 6, so the quickest option would be to create a Blacklist file that MW 6 would use and bring in the addresses that way.

Create a plain text file, name it Blacklist.txt and place it in the folder C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\MailWasherPro\
Note, you'll need to create this folder, as MailWasher 7 uses a different location

The file should contain the following (including line breaks) below

Code: Select all

// MailWasher Pro blacklist and friends list
//
// If you make changes to this file while MailWasher Pro is running,
// the changes will be overwritten when MailWasher Pro is closed.

[Blacklisted emails]

*@firetrust.com
spammer@firetrust.com
As above, one line per email under the heading [Blacklisted emails] if you want to blacklist the whole domain use *@, otherwise just the single address is fine.

Then in MailWasher under Settings >> Spam Tools >> Blacklist >> hit Import.

I'd do a test run of 5 addresses or so before I went full 1500 to be sure it worked :)

Cheers
squeek73
Mystified Moa

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Perfect. Thanks.

If I wanted to remove 30 or 40, could I just do it right there in the XML file (with MWP closed, of course)?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:59 am

squeek73 wrote:Perfect. Thanks.

If I wanted to remove 30 or 40, could I just do it right there in the XML file (with MWP closed, of course)?
The text file you mean ? If so you can remove them/edit prior to the import. MailWasher 7 stores the blacklist in an SQLite database, and would only look at the text file on import process.
squeek73
Mystified Moa

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:16 am

OK, thanks. You can close this thread now, if you want.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”