Mail Sticking in Inbox

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Ken Jagger
Mystified Moa

Mail Sticking in Inbox

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:36 am

Hi

I've just reinstalled MW Pro 7 onto a new PC and when after checking for new email and downloading it into Outlook the same as I did on my older PC, the mail does not disappear from the MW Inbox. The only way to get rid of it is by checking the box and deleting it.

On my old Pc the mail disappears after downloading to Outlook and then re-clicking Check Mail in MW.

I've crossed checked all the account and other settings in both installs of MW and they are exactly the same and both PC's are running on the same Outlook version and Win10.

Regards
Ken Jagger
jandarah
Rattled Rabbit

Re: Mail Sticking in Inbox

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi Ken,

I have no answer for that I have the same issue and, not seeing your post, posted the same issue yesterday. A few have looked, but no one has replied. I presume the Firetrust gurus look at these forum messages.
John
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Sorry missed this post. Ken, for Outlook you need to set it to remove emails from the server after download.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/hel ... in-outlook

This is a feature only available for POP accounts, if the account is of type IMAP then the inboxes between MailWasher and Outlook are synchronised.
The options would be to remove the account, add it back as POP type and set to remove from server after download.

Or, once you read emails in Outlook, or move them to another folder, MailWasher will also no longer load them (assuming it too is using IMAP)

Cheers
Ken Jagger
Mystified Moa

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:51 am

What if I don't want to remove emails from the server after I've downloaded them e.g. I can then still access the emails from an Internet Browser should I need to?

All my accounts are POP3.

Why did the auto-removal from MW Inbox work on my old PC 4 weeks ago with the same version of MS Outlook, WIN10 and Mailwasher Pro and yet doesn't work now on my new PC with the same software?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:54 am

Leaving emails on the server would mean MailWasher continues to load them, as MailWasher always loads the Inbox messages.

Was Outlook also using POP or were you using IMAP in that program ?
Ken Jagger
Mystified Moa

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

We seem to be going off track here.

The problem I reported was that after selecting and downloading to Outlook the emails I wanted in MW, MW was not removing them from its Inbox which is what it has always done. If I look at my emails via browser login, all the emails I have ever received are still there, other than the ones I have manually deleted, and they do not get re-downloaded by MW which is the opposite to what you have said "as MailWasher always loads the Inbox messages".

All email accounts have been configured on the new PC exactly the same as the old PC and they are POP in both Outlook and MW.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:05 am

You need to set Outlook not to leave a copy of the emails on the server
https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... f6139bd9d1

That's the only way to stop this.
Ken Jagger
Mystified Moa

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:32 am

I reiterate the problem with MW NOT Outlook.

"The problem I reported was that after selecting and downloading to Outlook the emails I wanted in MW, MW was not removing them from its Inbox"

MW does not re-download ANY emails I have already received into MW Inbox, although they are still available on the server should I need to access them via browser.

After I have processed emails in MW and then DL them into Outlook, those emails do not clear from MW, I have to manually select and delete them from the MW Inbox. This did not happen before. Once DL from MW to Outlook they would immediately disappear from MW which it is not doing anymore. This is a MW function and nothing to do with Outlook.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 am

No, it's not a MW function as you describe it.

When using POP3 MW loads all emails in the server Inbox and by setting Outlook to leave emails on the server after download, they will continue to be available to MW.
If Outlook was set not to behave that way, then the next time MW did a check after download, it would see the messages gone from the server and remove them from view.
Ken Jagger
Mystified Moa

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:47 am

I've just rechecked via Webmail and all the emails I have either downloaded today, to Outlook via MW or "Washed" in MW are still in my mail server inbox. Does the "Wash" function in MW not instruct the mail server to delete these emails?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:07 am

Ken Jagger wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:47 am
I've just rechecked via Webmail and all the emails I have either downloaded today, to Outlook via MW or "Washed" in MW are still in my mail server inbox. Does the "Wash" function in MW not instruct the mail server to delete these emails?
It does, so that's not expected.
This is an NTLWorld account and do they use GMail services for their mail system ?
I do recall GMail being involved with their mail systems, and assuming that's correct then the circumstance is understandable. GMail maintains emails differently, you can actually have 3 different Inboxes, and emails you delete via POP are not removed as you'd expect.

That doesn't effect the Outlook/MailWasher interaction, though it means you should be able to safely turn off Outlook to leave emails on the server, as the emails Outlook download and delete, won't be removed from the mail server inbox either.

As an experiment, you could try setting your account to IMAP type in MailWasher, if you need the settings they can be found here
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/email- ... ia-domains
Try then deleting a test message and see if that deletes from the webmail.
Ken Jagger
Mystified Moa

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:41 am

After changing MW settings to IMAP as suggested, if I Wash an email in MW it now also deletes it from the server.

With Outlook accounts still set to POP, when I delete emails from the deleted folder, they also delete from the mail server.

Emails I have downloaded from MW to Outlook still stay in the MW Inbox, even after closing & reopening MW. It's this behaviour which has changed from what I have experienced in the past.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”