Filters...

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
mlrichardson
Active Albatross

Filters...

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:14 pm

I've had MW for what seems a very long time, and thought I had a set of filters in use. Yesterday, with the arrival of the latest MailWasher news letter, I decided to look at the article on filters, which prompted me to look at the ones in place for my install. The first thing I noticed was these filters were basically generic, and not the ones I remember writing. Second, the one called "Not to Me" doesn't show my email address in any of the three tests. Which brings me to the biggest question: if this version of filters is really running, why am I getting any emails at all? Is there someplace I haven't figured out that allows me to tell MW what filter file to use?
Mike Richardson
MS Windows 10 Pro
Vipre Internet Security
Firefox 27.0, Thunderbird 24.3.0, MWPro, WP Office X3

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Filters...

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:08 am

MailWasher uses C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher\Filters.xml

That's the file that gets edited when you alter filters under Settings >> Spam Tools >> Filters.

Are you saying though your original filters file, where you had created and edited etc..has now reset back to default ?
mlrichardson
Active Albatross

Re: Filters...

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 am

As I said in the post, I've used MWP for quite a while. Long enough, it seems that I didn't keep track of the filters file. I've gone through three hard drives in the past three or four years, and, of course had to reinstall many, many applications - including MailWasher. I guess on one of those reinstalls, I forgot about the filters I had written, and they didn't get included in the MWP install. So... that's how I ended up with the generic filters file. The part of my question about how the filters are turned on or off was handled successfully by the part about where the filters are edited. Again, it's been a long time since I've thought about the filters, and even longer since I looked at them. I see, by going to Settings >> Spam Tools >> Filters there is a way to turn each on and off. Now, I need to go back to my previous hard drives that still have the old filters.xml or filters.txt and see what I can find of the filters I wrote once-upon-a-time.

Thanks for the information, and I hope I answered your question adequately.
Mike Richardson
MS Windows 10 Pro
Vipre Internet Security
Firefox 27.0, Thunderbird 24.3.0, MWPro, WP Office X3

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”