Priority in a bounce.

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
cvalde
Mystified Moa

Priority in a bounce.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:51 am

Hello, I have a message with the following fields:
Return-Path: <...>
Reply-To: <...>
How does MWP determine where to send a bounce? For what I see, it selects Reply-To instead of Return-Path. I would like to use Return-Path because it's the address where bounces are received in a listserver used to send spam. I've had success before with this method (the listserver erases my account from the list of recipients), but since MWP uses Reply-To the bounce is going to a place that doesn't cause effect (a fake or unattended email of the spammer).

Thanks.
C.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: Priority in a bounce.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:46 am

You really should never use bounce unless you know for a fact, it is coming from a valid email address. For example, if you want to bounce emails back to your X wife.

Bouncing spam really never works. In fact it makes things worse because the spammer spoofs - forges another email address in the spam. This means the bounce will never get back the spammer anyway. If the spoofed address is invalid, as is often the case, then it just gets bounced back again. And if the spoofed address is a legitimate address that was stolen from some innocent person, you just end up sending the spam on to that innocent person, adding insult to injury.

Plus, a lot of ISPs don't like bounces because it does not go back to the spammer and may get bounced back again. That just clutters up and wastes more bandwidth.

My advice is don't use bounce.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi there

Yeah I think you're right in that it uses the Reply-To and if not found it may then attempt the Return-Path

There's no way to change that unfortunately within MailWasher, we can look to add it to the list, but there's so much other work that would take priority it would be months down the line, not likely this year.
Sterling Upright
It begins with a single step

How to show "presumably unsuspiciuos" mails in MW inbox?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:20 am

Hi,

In MW Inbox I am only being able to see "spam suspicious" mails, but I would like to bounce back to a well known e-mail address. Question is "How can I make it to appear in the MW inbox?

I have tried it all (In think): I have marked it as "blocked" in Outlook, I have set it as "unread", I have use the MW search, I have included it in the MW blacklist, I have removed it from the automatically created "friends list". No use at all.

Is there a way, please?

Thank you in advance
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:35 am

Please explain what you mean by "well known e-mail address".

As I explained above, the Bounce feature is very limited in its effectiveness because the malicious spammers don't use their own email addresses to send the spam. So when you bounce, the bounced email never goes back to the bad guy. It either goes back to someone totally innocent, or it goes no where. In reality, you end up cluttering the system with more junk mail bouncing around until it ends up in the bit bucket.

In other words, Bouncing should only be used when you know, without a doubt, the sender's "from" address is the sender's real address.

You say you have it listed in your Blacklist but want it to appear in your Inbox. Check the Options to see if the Hide emails box is checked.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”