Important notice for MailWasher and GMail accounts

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Elektra
Active Albatross

Re: Important notice for MailWasher and GMail accounts

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:20 pm

In MailWasher you can check if you are using the OAUTH system presently, under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced >> if Use OAUTH is checked, uncheck this Save.
I can find no such option as "Use OAUTH" in my advanced settings.
Attachments
mwpro.png
mwpro.png (103.06 KiB) Viewed 130210 times
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:41 pm

Yeah, we removed it from MailWasher in the last update. Folk who aren't updated will have this option.
Elektra
Active Albatross

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:09 pm

Well I followed the advice in your first post but I am still unable to get my mails from Gmail using MW. The only way I can access them is via my browser or run the risk of downloading all mails without removing any undesirables. The error given is 'Failed to login to pop3 server' but I'm using the exact same account details as I use in Outlook and that connects perfectly.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:16 pm

Odd. I take it Outlook is also using POP to access the account, or is that using IMAP ?

Check that Less Secure Apps is set to ON
https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps

Though if I recall Outlook does not support OAUTH, so that I expect already is.

If 2 Factor Authentication is enabled, then you'll probably need to create an App Specific Password
https://myaccount.google.com/security

Lastly if you remove the account from MailWasher and under Settings >> Accounts >> Import Accounts >> does MailWasher pull in the GMail account from Outlook ?
Elektra
Active Albatross

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:34 pm

rusticdog wrote: Odd. I take it Outlook is also using POP to access the account, or is that using IMAP ?
Yes, Outlook uses POP.
Check that Less Secure Apps is set to ON
https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps
It is set to ON.
Though if I recall Outlook does not support OAUTH, so that I expect already is.

If 2 Factor Authentication is enabled, then you'll probably need to create an App Specific Password
https://myaccount.google.com/security
2 factor authentication is not enabled as I do not own a mobile phone.
Lastly if you remove the account from MailWasher and under Settings >> Accounts >> Import Accounts >> does MailWasher pull in the GMail account from Outlook ?
Ok, so I tried this and something strange appeared. MW found 2 accounts for the same address. One was POP configured while the other was IMAP. The passwords were not imported so I added them back manually. I'm not sure which one actually works in Outlook but 1 of them must do because it does download the mails. On the other hand, neither are able to connect to the server in MW.

Additionally, when I attempt to get my mails via MW, apart from the error, I also receive a Critical Alert from Gmail in Outlook to inform me someone has my password and has attempted to login to my account. Even though I click on the 'Yes, that was me' button, Google continues to block the connection (but not in Outlook).
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:15 pm

So according to that, Outlook is connecting on a different IP address than MailWasher, and it's the IP that's being blocked. Are you running a VPN of any kind ?
kevvyb2019
It begins with a single step

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:02 pm

Problem is that I think Gmail switches off the 'allow insecure' switch if the account receives no emails within a certain period. And I don't know what this period is but means that i could miss emails when they come in. :(
Greenman
Mystified Moa

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:41 pm

I have never been able to use Gmail in Mailwasher, Thunderbird can pick up from Gmail, no problem, access to less secure apps is allowed, but it never works in Mailwasher.

It's incredibly annoying to be honest but I've never been able to make it work. I've just assumed it's Gmail at fault since the service sucks anyway.

Luckily I only use Gmail because of having an Android phone, I don't use it for anything else, because Gmail's constant "someone accessed your account from your only computer on your usual ip address - is this a problem?" really annoys me. Complete twonks!

So I use it for the account on the phone but I have every thing on Google disabled that I can, history, location etc etc. However, it is still a mystery to me why I have never ever been able to make it work with Mailwasher, and I've been using Mailwasher since the free version several million years ago.

Importing from Thunderbird doesn't work as I use IMAP in Thunderbird but want to use Pop3 in Mailwasher.
OrangeFox
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:40 am

Greenman wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:41 pm
I have never been able to use Gmail in Mailwasher, Thunderbird can pick up from Gmail, no problem, access to less secure apps is allowed, but it never works in Mailwasher.

It's incredibly annoying to be honest but I've never been able to make it work with diet. I've just assumed it's Gmail at fault since the service sucks anyway.

Luckily I only use Gmail because of having an Android phone, I don't use it for anything else, because Gmail's constant "someone accessed your account from your only computer on your usual ip address - is this a problem?" really annoys me. Complete twonks!

So I use it for the account on the phone but I have every thing on Google disabled that I can, history, location etc etc. However, it is still a mystery to me why I have never ever been able to make it work with Mailwasher, and I've been using Mailwasher since the free version several million years ago.

Importing from Thunderbird doesn't work as I use IMAP in Thunderbird but want to use Pop3 in Mailwasher.

You are absolutely right Google is totally bonkers. They always send these mails "someone accessed your account, prove that it is you.... blah... blah... blah..."
Woody
Mystified Moa

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am

I have unchecked the OAUTH checkbox in "Settings" and selected using less secured apps on my Google account page, but still cannot get Mailwasher to connect to my gmail account.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:41 am

Woody wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am
I have unchecked the OAUTH checkbox in "Settings" and selected using less secured apps on my Google account page, but still cannot get Mailwasher to connect to my gmail account.
Can you try sending me some logs. Go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'gmail not working' >> in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent, so I can check they arrived.
DaveOzric
Student Sheep

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:54 am

Hi, so your program will become useless to me because of this?

Starting February 15, 2021, G Suite accounts will only allow access to apps using OAuth. Password-based access will no longer be supported.

Dear Administrator,

We’re constantly working to improve the security of your organization’s Google accounts. As part of this effort, and in consideration of the current threat landscape, we’ll be turning off access to less secure apps (LSA) — non-Google apps that can access your Google account with only a username and password, without requiring any additional verification steps. Access through only a username and password makes your account more vulnerable to hijacking attempts. Moving forward, only apps that support a more modern and secure access method called OAuth will be able to access your G Suite account.

Access to LSAs will be turned off in two stages:

June 15, 2020 - Users who try to connect to an LSA for the first time will no longer be able to do so. This includes third-party apps that allow password-only access to Google calendars, contacts, and email via protocols such as CalDAV, CardDAV and IMAP. Users who have connected to LSAs prior to this date will be able to continue using them until usage of all LSAs is turned off.
February 15, 2021 - Access to LSAs will be turned off for all G Suite accounts.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:23 am

We'll have to revisit getting whitelisted, we can see eventually this happening for all GMail, not just GSuite.
DaveOzric
Student Sheep

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:30 am

Hopefully, something can get sorted. It would be a heavy loss to loose Google mail.
paul1964
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:12 am

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is related, but mailwasher is not receiving any of my gmail emails since 17th Dec 2019. When I start mailwaher it finds gmail's upto that date, but nothing after, even though I can see them in the web app or phone. Looking at the logs, there are no errors, the logon to gmail is successful.

I cvan't think what is causing this, does anypne have any ideas?

Thanks

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”