In coming mail not clearing ??

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
MargM
Travelling Tuatara

In coming mail not clearing ??

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:19 pm

I had been using OE classic but recently changed to using Mail for Win 10 for email . No idea why but from 10 Apr I download any incoming mail but copy stays on the server . Are 69 emails there at the mo. I've tried to delete but these didnt stay deleted

Had an ongoing similar problem that dates back to 30 Sep 2018 with my ISP , Iinet . I just checked in Iinet Webmail and currently there are 69 emails in the Inbox which is the same number not clearing after I downloaded current mail in my computer and there are another 22,122 emails which dont clear from IINet Have made many phone calls and sent emails to Iinet support asking for this to please be fixed . Customer service ?? There ISNT ANY.

Wondered whether there was some gremlin in Mail ? I bought this lap top Jan 2019.

Any how to fix ideas most welcome

MargM
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: In coming mail not clearing ??

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi there

The Mail app generally uses IMAP when adding a new account. One of the IMAP features is that emails are kept on the server, you can check below how to identify the account.

In Mail, right click on the Account Name on the left >> select Account Settings >> select Change Mailbox Synch Settings >> click Advanced Mailbox Settings at the bottom >> what's the Incoming Server address posted ?

If it is the IMAP address, we could look to remove the account from Mail, and add it back as a POP account, assuming that's your preference.

Thanks
MargM
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:02 am

Had old lap top and new one set on IMAP since soon after 30 Sep when this seemingly insurmountable problem happened with IINETs server. Set on POP3 and every time I go to down down new emails it 'downloads' all 22 odd thousand old emails as well as any new . Now same things happening with Mailwasher from a few days ago when I changed email client to Mail ( Windows 10) from OE Classic ?? Haven't knowingly changed any Mailwasher setting.

MargM
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Yeah, so if it's IMAP in the Mail App, then it doesn't download a copy of the message then delete it from the server, it keeps all messages synchronised.

By default, when MailWasher is using IMAP it will load all messages in the Inbox folder that are Unread from the last 7 days.
So that's why these messages don't vanish after download. If you mark them as Read in Mail App, or delete them, MailWasher will in turn no longer load them. You can also create subfolders in Mail App and move messages out of the INBOX into the subfolder, then MailWasher would no longer load it.

I guess these 22,000 emails are just old messages of yours ?
MargM
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:56 pm

A little earlier thought I'd try changing email client back to OE Classic and Whooska it downloaded all 95 emails that were sort of clogging up Mailwasher . Maybe was some gremlin in Mail ( Win 10) ? I had some older docs saved using Win10 Mail which I needed to sort thru and wouldn't open with OE Classic around. So inadvertently I fixed it :crazy :scratch

The 22,000 emails sitting on IINETs server are old ones downloaded ages ago . Doesn't effect anything really its more of an irritant as shouldn't be there .There is no customer service with that mob

MargM
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:30 pm

OK great :) although it's not a glitch, it's the protocol of the mail program that's causing it.

OE classic will be using POP3 to access to account, and it will be set to delete the messages off the server after download.
Mail for Windows will be using IMAP, which keeps everything synchronised online.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”