Lists missing

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Lists missing

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:46 am

MW Pro 7.12.1
Hi. I just restarted my computer and I thought the Inbox looked weird. When I checked the settings,, the Blacklist and Friends list were empty and the custom notification sound had been replaced by the standard sound. All account settings are still there, but various settings like starting minimised and so on had changed. I can obviously still use the program, but I would really like my lists back. Any ideas?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Lists missing

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:05 am

That's really odd, it sounds like you lost your General Settings, though the lists are stored in a database file separate from that.
What about your Recycle Bin, any emails in that ?

Anything else happen on the machine lately other than the restart ?
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:25 am

Nothing in the recycle bin. I don't believe anything else has happened today. No Windows updates and I haven't updated MW. I am playing around with OneDrive, and the user files are in a folder that is being synced, but that has been the case for years.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:52 am

languageservicesco wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:25 am
Nothing in the recycle bin. I don't believe anything else has happened today. No Windows updates and I haven't updated MW. I am playing around with OneDrive, and the user files are in a folder that is being synced, but that has been the case for years.

So you have a backup copy of the files you can restore ?
It sounds like the files lost are either just C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher\cache\MWP.db3

Or the full C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher\cache folder, but this seems unlikely.
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 pm

I think I have the answer. If you look at this screenshot, you will see that loads of files have been renamed. This relates to messages I got from OneDrive that it couldn't sync certain files, so it renamed them and kept both versions. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you what files are affected. MW has obviously then created a new file when it didn't find the old one.

I am now going to make a copy of the cache folder and reinstate the most likely candidates and I will report back.
Screenshot - 25_04_2019 , 10_21_46.jpg
Screenshot - 25_04_2019 , 10_21_46.jpg (94.58 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:57 pm

Right, that didn't work. MW acted as if it was a new install and I didn't get anything back. Now the two outlook.com accounts aren't there any more. I have the old files still, so I can reinstate that, but it would be nice to know if I can get back to the original setup before OneDrive screwed it up!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:47 pm

So the Accounts are stored in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher as Accounts.xml

That entire folder should ideally be restored as most XML files in that folder serve a config purpose.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher\cache\crypto\ contains all your learned emails, deleted emails etc..

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher\cache\MWP.db3 this is the lists, and index needed for the above crypto folder

Be sure MailWasher is closed before any restoration attempt, it may overwrite the files on exit.
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:21 am

OK, so what I have done now is to reinstate the original folder like it was when I discovered the problems. This gave me back my accounts. Then I replaced the MWP.db3 file with an earlier copy on OneDrive. This gave me back my Friends list. That is fine now as I can sort out any changed settings there might be. Thanks for your help.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”