(URGENT) The email account password is very easy to be read, in Mailwasher Pro v7.12.6

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
chiuspc
Student Sheep

(URGENT) The email account password is very easy to be read, in Mailwasher Pro v7.12.6

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:38 pm

I have been used Mailwasher Pro v6.5.4 for a long time, and it is a very good program.
Last week, I bought a Mailwaher Pro v7.
However, when I installed the Mailwasher Pro v7. this morning. I find the email account password can be read easily.

Please let me know if there is any way I can disable this feature. In Mailwasher Pro v6.5.4, the email account password can not be read, just like the outlook 2013 or 2016 setting. You can input the mail account password, tick the checkbox to remember the password, but you definitely can NOT see the password.

This is not a good idea to let anyone to easily access your email account password in MailWasher Pro v7. 12.6
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: (URGENT) The email account password is very easy to be read, in Mailwasher Pro v7.12.6

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi there

If you install this version
http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/mail ... _12_10.exe

Then after install run the attached .REG file (within the ZIP), answer Yes to Import, and restart MW if required.
disable_password.zip
(342 Bytes) Downloaded 306 times
chiuspc
Student Sheep

Re: (URGENT) The email account password is very easy to be read, in Mailwasher Pro v7.12.6

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:10 pm

I have installed MailWasher PRO v.7.12.10 by the local Administrator's user name"super" and run the attached REG file. It will disable the feature for viewing the password when you log in the windows 10 with the user name"super". But, the computer has joined the company domain, the operator normally uses the domain user to log in the computer. so the password still can be easily checked. Even I add local power user privilege to that domain user. The password still can be easily checked.

On the other hand, after the domain user logs in the windows 10, you will "not" see the Firetrust folder and Mailwasher Pro icon in Start Menu. And, the Mailwasher Pro Icon cannot be found in the windows desktop.

Only when you use the local Administrator user name" Super" to log in the windows, you can see the Firetrust Folder and MailWahser Pro Icon in Start Menu and a Mailwasher Pro Icon will show on the windows desktop.

The Mailwsher Pro v6.5.4 does not have the above problems.

The last question:
When I install the Mailwasher Pro v7.12,10 should I first uninstall the older version v7.12.6 in the windows?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:37 pm

No, there's no need to uninstall the older first.

Can the REG file be run under the User account once it's logged in ?
chiuspc
Student Sheep

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:23 pm

The REG file cannot be run under "domain user" privilege, even the local "power user" privilege has been added to this domain user.
I have to switch to the local administrator user name"super" in order to run this REG file again.

PS: the Mailwasher PRO v 6.5.4 can work under the "domain user "privilege , and that domain user also has local "power user" privilege. And, that domain user is unable to change the registry.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:47 pm

OK, if I understand right if we were to change MailWasher to use HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firetrust\MailWasher instead, that will effect all users, and allow the REG file to be run as you can do that under super.
chiuspc
Student Sheep

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Yes, I agree with you. This change should be made for all users at the local machine, not just the local user.
Awaiting for your new registry to undo the current change made by the previous "disable_password.reg" file.
Please also provide another new reg file to make the change for the local machine.

Password is sensitive information. That is why many email client's software such as the Microsoft outlook will immediately hide the password after you save it. Please consider to have this feature in your next update for the mailwasher Pro.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Sure thing, will let you know when we have a version that looks in LOCAL_MACHINE, attached is REG file for reverting the change made in the previous if needed.
Attachments
enable_password.zip
(335 Bytes) Downloaded 236 times
chiuspc
Student Sheep

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:10 pm

I have run the enable_password.reg to undo the changes. It works.

By the way, please read my post on June 25. I have encountered not only the password's issue but also mailwasher Pro icon missing after the domain user login.
I hope the next update can solve those issues.
Please let me know when I can have a new update?
Last edited by chiuspc on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Yeah for reasons that aren't clear to me, we changed MailWasher to install for the current user only. I expect I can get the password issue addressed quickly, the other will take some time, as it creates problems shifting from one to the other.

Presumably the easiest option is to set the option in the installer whether to install for All Users, or Current User.
chiuspc
Student Sheep

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Do you plan to have a new version of MAilWasher Pro which can solve the following TWO problems:
(1) Hiding password of the email account as default.
PS: Do not give the user any chance to view the password.
(2) Allow the domain user to use the program

PS: The old version Mailwasher PRO 6.5.4 did not the above problems
chiuspc
Student Sheep

Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi! is there any response to my questions on 10th of July?
I bought the software in June. Owing to the two big issues, I am still not using the software.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:23 pm

My understanding is that the installer is getting altered to give the optional password display.

I'm not sure on the domain aspect, however the programmers are working on version 8 right now, so I can't say when they might be done.
chiuspc
Student Sheep

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:31 pm

I ordered the mailwasher pro version 7 in June, and it is a lifetime version.

May I know whether I have to buy version 8 again? I am not sure if the lifetime will include version 8 and any new version in the future.

Regards,
C.P. Chiu
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:57 am

No you won't need to buy version 8, it will be included

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”