Upon restart, MWP no longer sees older emails on servers

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
orygun
Student Sheep

Upon restart, MWP no longer sees older emails on servers

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:15 am

MWP Ver 7.12.6, all accounts set POP3.
Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

MWP is used for many personal accounts and several for small businesses, in order to control spam.

My initial problem was MWP would find all emails- some dating over a year- on pop3 accounts, and I was looking at trying to find a limiting factor of 3-5 days for new emails only to reduce the work MWP had to do due some accounts keep their important emails on their servers (300+ on a few accounts).

Now, however, upon rebooting my computer, absolutely none of the previous emails show even though the pop3 accounts still retain their complete load of emails.

I've done a reinstall (repair) to no avail.
orygun
Student Sheep

Re: Upon restart, MWP no longer sees older emails on servers

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:08 am

UPDATE.

Fired up backup computer with MWP 6.9 (same OS version) and the results are identical.

The accounts checked by MWP span four separate domains.

Any ideas?
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 am

orygun wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:15 am
MWP Ver 7.12.6, all accounts set POP3.
Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

MWP is used for many personal accounts and several for small businesses, in order to control spam.

My initial problem was MWP would find all emails- some dating over a year- on pop3 accounts, and I was looking at trying to find a limiting factor of 3-5 days for new emails only to reduce the work MWP had to do due some accounts keep their important emails on their servers (300+ on a few accounts).

Now, however, upon rebooting my computer, absolutely none of the previous emails show even though the pop3 accounts still retain their complete load of emails.

I've done a reinstall (repair) to no avail.
Have you tried to change the setting in the inbox (top bar) *next to the text* "currently displaying***** to the desired timespan?
Knipsel.JPG
Knipsel.JPG (20.5 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:27 am

inbox.jpg
inbox.jpg (412.68 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
orygun
Student Sheep

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:50 pm

Thank you-- I've never used that but when looking at it after changing- then reverting, restarting- it still only shows a limited number (today's).

Funny part is, other (Win7SP1, with earlier version 6.9-something) computer now does the identical thing.

Lastly, my laptop (win10 and unused since my vacation in February, is doing the identical thing.

Again, this means four different mail servers are affected, on three different computers.

About ready to drag out my old XP unit and see what's what. :D
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Can you send me some logs

Go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum' >> in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent.

If you are wanting to reduce the amount of emails being displayed, you ought to be able to use IMAP instead of POP to access the accounts. Most email providers support IMAP, and in doing so you can set MailWasher to only download emails from the last xx days, which might be to your preference.
orygun
Student Sheep

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:23 pm

I've toyed with the IMAP and seeing what it does for two accounts getting daily spam. Might keep me from having to log in to those accounts to check the efficiency of the spam filters by their ISP.

Give me a day or so to change and monitor.

Still, the question sits: Why does MWP on three different computers act the same? I could understand if one ISP mail server changed something, but this spans four mail servers. Hmm. Thinking this goes beyond MWP's purview.

Thanks,

Dave
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Yeah not sure on that last part. Might be something in the logs that's obvious.

Generally speaking POP is quite dumb in that it tells MW how many messages there are, and MW instructs to download them all, so it ought not be doing what you describe.
orygun
Student Sheep

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:30 am

Well, that was fun. Woke up at 3 this AM with the common point in mind- Thunderbird mail.

There was an update which cleared the checkmark 'leave messages on server' on every account, plus the other selections for checking mail and frequency of checking.

So! MWP is exonerated!

Thank you for your help. Also, have switched from POP3 to IMAP on all the accounts which, according to Mozilla, will preclude (hopefully) another incident.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”