Runtime error

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Runtime error

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:22 am

Hi. I have spent a long time on the forums and also troubleshooting on my PC, and I still have this problem. I am running a completely updated Windows 10 pro machine with the latest version of MWPro. I have been using MW for longer than I can remember.

A few days ago, whenever I pressed "Wash mail" I would get a window from the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library saying that the application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way (file attached hopefully). MW disappears but lurks as a background process which has to be killed before it can be relaunched.

I have now tracked down the issue, but can't solve it. I have three accounts in MW. One is my own domain and is a POP account. The other two are outlook.com accounts using IMAP. Adding the POP account was ok, but as soon as I added the first IMAP account, the behaviour returned.

Is there any other information you need? How can I solve this?

Cheers.
Kevin
Screenshot - 08_08_2019 , 11_42_45.jpg
Screenshot - 08_08_2019 , 11_42_45.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Re: Runtime error

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:46 am

I now have to amend my original post. It just crashed in the same way with just the POP account set up!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:54 am

Is there any unusual characters in the passwords for the problem account(s) ?
Try installing these libraries first.

1. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... g=en&id=29

2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... en&id=5582

3.) Visual C++ Redistributable Package:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download ... x?id=40784
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for the quick response. There are no strange characters in the passwords, and they haven't changed for some time. I will go through those libraries and report back.
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 pm

I installed the three libraries, which all presented as repair installations, but having restarted the computer it still gives the same error message when I click on wash mail.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:53 pm

OK. In MailWasher if you go into Help >> User Files >> close down MailWasher so it's not running >> then back in the folder you opened, rename the cache folder to something like oldcache >> start MailWasher and see if the error occurs.

Doing this will wipe all training and Friends/Blacklist. But we just want to see if it's a bad file or something else.

Cheers
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:46 pm

Something else that I find interesting is that, as mentioned above, after the error message, MW still hangs around as a background process that needs to be killed before it can be restarted. The thing is, it is usually using around 11% CPU when it is hanging around. Don't know if that is useful. Just going to follow the above instructions now.
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:52 pm

OK, so that seems to have solved the crashing issue. Is it possible to try returning any files to get back settings etc.? I did do an export before troubleshooting. Will that bring back the problem if I import it again?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:08 pm

languageservicesco wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:52 pm
OK, so that seems to have solved the crashing issue. Is it possible to try returning any files to get back settings etc.? I did do an export before troubleshooting. Will that bring back the problem if I import it again?
I expect it will. There is a problem file in there somewhere.

I would rename the folder back to cache (with MW closed)
Then instead do the same asabove, but this time instead of renaming cache, go into that folder, and rename the crypto folder.
That gives you back the Friends List/Blacklist, but you do still lose Training and the Recycle Bin.

See if that crashes. If it does, then I think the problem file will be the MWP.db3 in the cache folder, which unfortunately is Friends List, Blacklist and Training data. We can try and repair that file, assuming it is that file, are you able to ZIP and email it to me at forum@firetrust.com ? It doesn't contain password info.
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:34 pm

Right, I can answer that question partially at least. I renamed the new cache folder created after I renamed the original one. I then opened MW and imported my settings. This gave me back my accounts and learning stuff. However, it also brought back the error message. So I deleted the new cache folder, renamed the previous cache folder back to "cache", and now MW is working but has none of the training data. So, I assume I will simply have to live with that on the basis that the problem is with the data files. Is that right or can you offer a magic solution? :-)
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:45 pm

Sorry, I didn't submit the last post, then refreshed the page and saw your answer, which is why mine is after yours. I can live without the friends list as I have imported my contacts and will do the rest as I go. I don't use the blacklist. I will zip the db file from the original cache folder and see if you can repair it. Thanks for your help.
languageservicesco
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:13 am

To finish off this thread for any other readers, it turned out that the database was defective and could not be recovered. But at least MW is up and running again with my settings and accounts back.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”