Limit on number of emails read from an account

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
paul1964
Rattled Rabbit

Limit on number of emails read from an account

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:20 am

Mailwasher recently stopped displaying any of my gmail emails after a certain date. No errors are reported, I just don't see the most recent mails.

I thought this could be related to the changes google have made, however I have investigated further and think the issue is with mailwasher.

I deleted some old emails, restarted mailwasher, and noticed some of the newer emails now appearing. I deleted more, and am now upto date. However, I like to keep certain emails for some time and mailwasher seems to have a limit on how many mails it will read from an account (I suspect maybe around 300)

Can anyone confirm this, and is there a way to increase the number?

Thanks
Paul
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Limit on number of emails read from an account

Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:18 am

Very odd. There is no imposed limit in MailWasher.

I do seem to recall having issues trying to retrieve many emails from a GMail account in ThunderBird, where it seemed to only retrieve 300 at a time via POP, so perhaps there is something going on there. I assume in MailWasher you are using POP, or are you set to IMAP ? (Check under Settings >> Accounts > Incoming)

If you go into Help >> User Files >> there will be a Logs folder >> if you can ZIP and email me that to forum@firetrust.com, that will hopefully reveal what was going on (it's the last 3-4 days of log files in that folder)
paul1964
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I think you could be right, I am using pop3, and there were 303 emails to be retrieved at the time of the problems.

I'll try changing to IMAP to see if its ok, although I'll have to wait a while to reach 300 emails again as I've deleted quite a few.
RuthEM
It begins with a single step

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:00 am

I, too, am unable to download more than 300 or so emails from my Gmail account at one time. When I am not on my laptop for a period of time and check my email on my phone for a week or two instead, I have to download the first batch of email, wash it, then go back and do a "check mail" and repeat until all mail has been downloaded. This, obviously, is a pain since I still have to go through everything each time I wash and recheck for mail. What would happen if I changed from POP to IMAP? Will this take care of the issue? Would it let me do that? Thanks for any help you can give.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:16 am

Yes, you could switch to IMAP under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming.
MailWasher would then by default retrieve all Unread emails in the Inbox folder from the last 7 days. In the same screen above, click Advanced if you want to change those settings.
jgt1942
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:31 am

Originally I had setup MailWsher (now using Pro 7.12.54 on Win10 x64 Pro with Outlook 2013) as a POP account and noticed the issue of not displaying everything on the server, e.g. the limit seemed to be about 300 emails. My wife has a medical issue that demands a lot of my time and often I would go 3-15 days without checking my email. This presented the 300 limit.

Yesterday I changed GMAIL from POP3 to IMAP and changed MailWasher (MW) from POP3 to IMAP. Now I can see all of the emails on the GMAIL server. I noticed that numerous emails seemed to be dups. Im MW I started going through the list of almost 600 emails marking several to be deleted. About 1/2 way through the list I decided to "WASH MAIL" by clicking on the Wash Mail icon. MW started to process the list and removed several but there are numerous emails that I had checked to be deleted but they remain in MW. I assume that they are still on the server. What the heck did I do wrong? How do I remove the emails via MW? At this time I have NOT modified Outlook to process the emails as IMAP but plan to do so, e.g. it is still setup as a POP3 account.

Another question regarding using IMAP. As I understand IMAP a copy of my emails will remain on the server. I think this is going to create another issue for me, e.g. at some point, my GMAIL account will exceed some limit that Google sets regarding how many emails you can have on the server. In the past few months, the number of emails I receive daily has sharply increased. I've started to take action and reduce the number of emails I receive but it seems to be a losing battle and with my wife's health issues I will be spending less time on the computer thus the issue will only grow for me. I'm open to suggestions.
jgt1942
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:54 am

You can check your storage if you go here https://one.google.com/u/0/storage
Google allows 15gb for email, photos etc..

For the emails not deleting, check under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> is Store Cached Email checked ?
If so, set the account back to POP at the top >> uncheck this options >> set back to IMAP >> Save >> restart MailWasher. See if that helps.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”