Spam from your own email address

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
tynis
It begins with a single step

Spam from your own email address

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:26 am

I get variations of emails like this. They frustrate, and embarrass me from wanting to even admit I get them. Can anyone tell me a way to BLOCK THEM USING MAILWASHER? They are to my valid email address. I don't want to change it unless absolutely necessary. They are from my valid email address. I have created rules to mark them, and I manually delete them, but I would like to automate the process so I don't have them get to Outlook. I have rules in Outlook that move them to trash. Would like to catch them in Mailwasher.

Text of recent email - below. Not all are same wording. Or same Subject, but they all are from and to my valid email address.
>>>>>>>>>>>
Hey, check the sender of this email, I sent this email from your email account.

Some time ago your computer was infected with my private malware, RAT (Remote Administration Tool), your browser wasn't updated / patched, so you got automatically infected while browsing the website wich had my iframe placed in the background.

My malware gave me access to all your accounts, to all your files and it was possible to spy on you over your webcam.

Google: Remote Administration Tool, to see the functions of it.

I collected all your files and I recorded few nice moments of you through your webcam, haha!

After I collected everything, I removed my malware again.

I can publish all your files and the video of you on the whole web, send it to your contacts, social network, hacking forums and the darknet.

You can stop me, send exactly 900$ with the cryptocurrency Monero (XMR) to my Monero (XMR) wallet.

It's very easy to buy Monero (XMR), for example here: www.binance.com , www.anycoindirect.eu , www.bitnovo.com , or Google for another exchanger.

My Monero (XMR) wallet is: 49RD2byfAXfGU4BaZ5mgaQTH8zKowp6V7e88pPkiS1d1iPrJG9RVptDNU1NcHrm5hdKMZzjp2npNzS2CYwy4HjUU3CV52oX

Yes that's a long wallet, copy and paste it, it's (CaSE-SEnSetiVE).

Send the Monero (XMR) directly to my wallet, or create your wallet first with the software from: www.mymonero.com and then send to mine.

I give you 2 days time to send the Monero (XMR).

After that I remove everything and we forget everything.

Mail-Client-ID: 4645170136
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: Spam from your own email address

Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:53 am

You subject says "from", but in your post you said (my bold underline added),
They are to my valid email address.
they all are from and to my valid email address.
What did you really mean?

In either case, there is little you can do and certainly nothing to be embarrassed about.

As far as you know, was your computer infected in the past? If you keep your operating system and your malware solution current, and you are not "click-happy" on every unsolicited link you see, it is unlikely you were infected and this is just another typical scare tactic used to intimidate you into paying them money. Don't do it. No doubts if you give them even a penny, they will demand more.

If you meant "from" your email address, you need to verify these are not real emails being sent from your computer without your authorization. Check your Sent folder - are they in there?

Regardless, make sure your OS and security are current and if you have not done so already, scan for malware with a secondary scanner just to make sure nothing got by your primary. I generally recommend Malwarebytes Free for that.

If you really meant "to" your email address, then that's typically how spam works. Your email address (like 100s of millions of us) is on a spammer's list. This list is sold and traded to other spammers all the time. Do NOT reply as that just verifies your email address is valid and it then may end up on even more lists.

If you cannot find anything common in all these emails, including in their headers, like the word "mymonero", or a common address or phrase, then I am not aware of any way you can "automatically" tag all these. Just keep doing what you are doing. Typically, these are just phases and will soon fade away.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Re: Spam from your own email address

Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:55 pm

It's hard to filter email if they put your own email address in the "from" field. You can't simply use the "blacklist" feature.

A couple options:
If the ones you send "from" a particular email address will always have a certain IP address or other strings in the headers. For instance, things you send through Gmail will always have certain Gmail terms in the headers. Things you send through your own hosting service will always have their IP in the headers. For instance, for a Gmail address
You create a filter "Apply filter to emails that match ALL of the following rules:
From Contains Plain text
myemail@gmail.com
Entire message Doesn't contain Plain text
d=gmail.com

If it's from your personal website email, it might be
Entire message Doesn't Contain RegEx
127\.1\. or whatever the IP address your outgoing mail arrives from. Check the headers of old messages.

Another option, if you are able to edit the "organization" field of emails you send out, is to include an organization or even just a code number that you can filter for.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”