OAuth again

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
epack
Active Albatross

OAuth again

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:48 am

MWP 7.12.25. I've noticed here that several others in the last couple of days have mentioned that they can't login with (presumably) a gmail account (my account is anyway). I was told to use OAuth by my email client provider (Pandora) which works, but MWP isn't connecting the account now. It works fine with other gmail accounts I had not set to OAUTH in the client. The solution here was to verify that OAuth was checked. which made sense, but... I'm simply not seeing a checkbox for that. Right now here's my settings, rightly or wrongly in my client, which do work:

pop.gmail.com
OAuth2 / Always(TLS/SSL) / port 995

smtp.gmail.com
OAuth2 / Always(TLS/SSL) / port 465

And in MWP:

pop.gmail.com/store cached emails
Port 995
Requires a secure connection(SSL)
Use secure authentication
Use RETR instead of Top (NOT checked)
Both Pipelining options checked

smtp.gmail.cm
Port 465
SMTP server requires auth checked
Use same settings as incoming checked
Secure connection: SSL

Where is the aforementioned checkbox in MWP? Do I have those right above? The error message I get in MWP suggests it may be a password error, but I'd copy/pasted it from my client, where it works fine.

TIA
elaine
----
Elaine Pack
Huntersville, NC
MWP 7.12.67 on Windows 10 Pro machines
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: OAuth again

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:12 pm

MailWasher doesn't support OAUTH, so Less Secure Apps needs to be enabled for the GMail account here https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps

GMail wouldn't give us automatic permission to use OAUTH as they did not classify us as an email client, the costs of having the program audited for permission was well beyond anything we were prepared to spend.

Cheers
epack
Active Albatross

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:07 pm

Less secure apps IS on. Has been since it was created. All my gmail accts are like this

Elaine
----
Elaine Pack
Huntersville, NC
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:36 pm

Odd. And 2 Step Verification is also turned off for this account ?
You can check that here https://myaccount.google.com/security
epack
Active Albatross

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:06 am

Yes, 2 step is off.
----
Elaine Pack
Huntersville, NC
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:17 am

OK, try sending me some logs.

If you go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum' in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back once sent, so I can check they arrived all OK.

Thanks
epack
Active Albatross

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:49 am

Just sent, thanks! I'd sent a quick test msg via my client, using a good address to send to the bad one. I see it in the Event Log, but as noted, it sent normally via my client with the same pwd (yes I verified). I was unable to even save it in the settings tho, so it may well be a bad pwd, dunno. It just says "Failed to connect to server". I can send screen shots if you like.

elaine
----
Elaine Pack
Huntersville, NC
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:18 am

No screenshots required. MailWasher is receiving back the generic error
S: -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.

Is the password just regular letters and numbers, no special characters or spaces ?

If you set the account in MailWasher to IMAP at the top of the Incoming Account settings, this too fails to connect with the same issue ?

Is changing the password an option ? Though this would mean changing it in the places you check the account, so at least Pandora and MailWasher.
epack
Active Albatross

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:54 am

No screenshots required. MailWasher is receiving back the generic error
S: -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.
Yes, this is what I see.
Is the password just regular letters and numbers, no special characters or spaces ?
No spaces, but two ! (bangs) in it, per normally recommended practices.
If you set the account in MailWasher to IMAP at the top of the Incoming Account settings, this too fails to connect with the same issue ?
This is what I got, but as I'm not very familiar with IMAP, I may well have set it up wrong. Heh! The error messages ARE correct tho :)

Your account password has changed.
- The incoming server address has changed.
- The incoming server type has been changed to IMAP.
Is changing the password an option ? Though this would mean changing it in the places you check the account, so at least Pandora and MailWasher.
Not a problem in the slightest. Let me try removing the bangs....
Hmm, this is interesting. I copy/pasted the password (twice!) into the password box preparing to change it in *gmail* in a browser, and it failed the first pwd verification. I double checked it was still working in Pandora with the exact same password and it works just fine. I know I can change it from the browser screen, I hope, but this is really weird.

elaine
----
Elaine Pack
Huntersville, NC
epack
Active Albatross

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:09 am

Hmm, it's now gone back to telling me it needs an application password. I had it set up like that in Pandora, probably because of the OAuth thing, and it had been working, but I WAS able to change the password there. Again, it's working there. I'd never had to do that before. Not sure what's happening but worst case, at least for now, I'll go back to getting the app password thing set up again, and try it again here later. Very odd.
----
Elaine Pack
Huntersville, NC
ricead
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:45 am

When will Oauth2 be supported? Office365 now requires it.
Thanks.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:57 am

ricead wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:45 am
When will Oauth2 be supported? Office365 now requires it.
Thanks.
Not sure when we'll have it implemented, but you should be able to use an App Password https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/acc ... 07799387e9
cwyss
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:47 am

My organization is using Office365 for email and requires OAuth2 Authentication. For this organization, an App password will not work. As a result, I cannot use MailWasher for this account until it supports OAuth2 authentication.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”