Duplicate entries

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
szib9
Student Sheep

Duplicate entries

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:39 am

Mailwasher.jpg
duplicate entries
Mailwasher.jpg (71 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
I am running the latest version of Mailwasher Pro on a Windows 10 computer. I regularly get duplicate entries displayed, but they don't always refer to the same email, so if I delete one without checking if it's really a duplicate, I may be deleting something other than what is shown. I have UNCHECKED "Store cached emails" from all of the accounts, but that doesn't stop this behavior. In the attached example, when I click on the preview for that email, they both show the same first line, but you can see that the file sizes are different.

This is annoying because one of the main reasons I use Mailwasher is to be able to preview all of my emails so I can delete the ones I don't want before having to open the webmail account to access them. I think this is some kind of bug in the program. If there is anything you need me to send you in order to diagnose this problem, please let me know. Otherwise, please fix this "undocumented feature" aka bug in this program.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Duplicate entries

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:00 am

Can you try this beta version of MailWasher and let me know if the problem persists.
http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/mail ... _12_38.exe

Thanks
szib9
Student Sheep

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:26 am

It seems to have fixed the problem. I'll be back in touch if it re-occurs. Thank you!
szib9
Student Sheep

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:21 am

Well, it happened again today. This is the view from within Mailwasher.
Mailwasher.jpg
Mailwasher.jpg (56.62 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
This is the view from within the webmail browser.
Mailwasher2.jpg
Mailwasher2.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
The second entry shown in Mailwasher doesn't exist on the server and is not one of the other files, given its size (29.0 Kb)
However, sometimes in the past, the second entry has appeared to be identical to the first one, but actually is keyed to another entry entirely, so if I delete the second entry, I am actually deleting something other than the one I thought it duplicated.

Not completely fixed yet, it seems. Let me know if and when you have a solution for me to try.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:14 am

Do you have Fast Startup enabled ? If so, try disabling that https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... Windows-10
szib9
Student Sheep

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:00 am

Yes, I had that enabled and have now disabled it. I'll be back in touch if the duplicate entries continue. Otherwise, if things are working properly, no news will be good news for you (and me).
szib9
Student Sheep

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:12 am

Mailwasher.jpg
Mailwasher.jpg (219.53 KiB) Viewed 7535 times
This is what showed up just now, after I rebooted following disabling Fast Startup. Note the preview for the second entry, which states that it's coming from Kohl's but contains information regarding an American Express account. This is what I mean by the header appearing like a duplicate entry, but the contents vary, so it' not actually a duplicate. Sometimes the content of the second one is somehow related to the first one, but the size of the files are different.
Mailwasher2.jpg
Mailwasher2.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 7535 times
Here are the entries when views in the webmail browser. The American Express entry is nowhere to be seen. Instead, the first entry (from Kohl's) is followed by an entry from the USPS service, which came earlier and appears further down the list, when sorted by "Received" with most recent on top. However, now that I have disabled Fast Startup, it seems to have made things much worse, as you can see in the number of duplicates that are now showing up in Mailwasher, none of which are duplicate entries in the webmail browser, so I am going to re-enable Fast Startup because now the problem is worse:
Mailwasher4.jpg
Mailwasher4.jpg (323.75 KiB) Viewed 7535 times
Your next idea?????
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 am

Can I get a fresh set of logs.
Under Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum' >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent, so I can check they arrived all OK.

Cheers
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Forgot to add, check under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> that Store Cached Email is not checked >> if it is, uncheck >> Save >> restart MailWasher.
If it is not checked, you could try setting the account to IMAP >> Save >> assuming it connects all OK >> change back to POP >> Save.

That should clear any caching that might have happened, it looks like the cache is getting confused.

In worst case, remove the account from MailWasher >> restart the program >> add the account back.
szib9
Student Sheep

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:53 pm

I just sent the logs (as per forum re- duplicate entries). Store Cached Email is not checked. That was the first place I looked when this happened. I don't know the settings to use for IMAP for this hosting company. Is that really necessary? Also, after I got that mess from disabling Fast Startup and then enabled it again, at the moment, everything is looking good. However, past experience with this issue seems to indicate degradation of performance occurs over time, leading me to think that something is getting corrupted along the way in the database or in the queries associated with it. I don't know much about how this actually works under the hood. I just know when it's not performing as expected.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Changing to IMAP then back to POP clears any internal caches, same happens when you remove the account and add it back.

If it's the same email host you used for your forum account, then the IMAP will connect on
mail.yourserver.org
Which is probably your mail server setting already, MailWasher will set the rest of the setting changes automatically.
szib9
Student Sheep

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:29 am

I checked and while the server information is the same, the ports are different for IMAP and POP, so I would have to change those back and forth, also. I have made a note about what to do if this reoccurs in the future.

If there is something you can do with regard to future releases of the software that would prevent (what you are referring to as) the internal caches from becoming corrupt/confused, I would greatly appreciate that. For the moment, all seems to be working properly. It seems like when I turned Fast Start off and then back on again, it did something to clear the cache, also, but I don't want to do that again. It messed up the rest of what I have on my computer, I got a black screen and had to push the power button to shut it down so I could reboot. because I couldn't access anything and the Start button didn't respond or work.
szib9
Student Sheep

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:12 am

Mailwasher.jpg
Mailwasher.jpg (55.77 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
This problem continues to occur. I tried changing the settings from POP to IMAP and got an error message that Mailwasher couldn't connect to the folder, so that didn't work. The only way I could get rid of it was to delete ALL of the affected emails, including the others that were falsely identified.

This email arrived yesterday and displayed only once. This morning when I booted my computer from having been totally turned off all night, it appeared as a duplicate entry. The preview shows the same content, even though the file size is different, so I know it's accessing something else but labeling it incorrectly. The time stamp, account, and subject are identical in Mailwasher, but when I check the email in webmail, there is only ONE copy there.
Mailwasher2.jpg
Mailwasher2.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 7391 times
Since this is essentially a database-driven product, is there any way that one can refresh or repair the database it's drawing from? You referred to the cache. Is there any way to flush the cache and have it reload? I tried "Clear the message grid" from the Settings tab and it cleared the grid, but when I then clicked on "Check mail" it still loaded the duplicate entries.

I know from past experience that the data corruption increases over time, often on the same day. I keep Mailwasher running the entire time I am working in other programs and have it set to check mail every 10 minutes, and these duplicates can creep in at any time. I have not noticed any pattern except that they increase over time.

I use webmail exclusively, so this is not something that is happening on my computer. I use Roundcube Webmail for the interface, and it has a Refresh button. I think some kind of "refresh" function is needed for Mailwasher, to clear/repair the database/cache it is accessing. I know I have the option to repair the database for phpBB, the program I use to run my online forums, and so far, you have not come up with a solution for these duplicate entries, so I am asking you to create something that will allow me to refresh or repair what's causing it.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:15 am

Removing the account, restarting MailWasher >> add the account back, will clear out any caching. When adding it back, be sure Store Cached Emails doesn't recheck itself.

We're still plugging away on some ideas on this, hopefully another beta soon.
szib9
Student Sheep

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:23 am

Thanks for the quick reply. This happens so often that that is not a solution. I check mail on 9 different accounts, all of which are in use at all times, but it happens most often on the accounts that have the most activity (which seems logical). It doesn't display any emails that I have taken out of the inbox and stored in folders, so I'll just have to keep up on my email housekeeping for now until you can come up with a real solution. Please let me know when you have something I can try.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”