Confusing treatment of email

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Aristodemus
Rattled Rabbit

Confusing treatment of email

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:33 am

I'm experiencing a weird situation using Mailwasher; one which I don't recall ever experiencing before getting Mailwasher 7.12.29 and Outlook 2019.

When mailwasher sees new email, it displays each one, as it always has.

But I am seeing those emails in Outlook before I ever do a Send/Receive. I don't recall that being the case in the past. I thought those emails would not appear on my pc until I "received" them.

To add to my confusion: when I "read" one of those emails in Outlook, then do a Check Mail in Mailwasher, the email disappears from Mailwasher. But if I select that same email in Outlook and mark it "unread", it gets listed in Mailwasher again (sometimes I want to come back and re-read an email, so I mark it "unread" in Outlook). I don't really want to deal with the same email in Mailwasher again ... it's confusing.

Is the above behavior normal in Mailwasher? Has it always been so?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Confusing treatment of email

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Hi there

What your describing is how IMAP works with mailboxes. Previously I imagine you've been using POP to access the messages.

With POP and Outlook, it will go to retrieve emails at xx minute intervals, and when it pulls down the messages it deletes the copy of the email off the server. This removes it from MailWashers view.

With IMAP, it's a synchronised email system. Emails are left on the server in their folder structure until deleted, Outlook also maintains a persistent connection to the server meaning as soon as a message arrives in the Inbox, Outlook will notify you.
MailWasher using IMAP by default checks the Inbox folder only, loading Unread emails from the last 7 days. It also does not hold a persistent connection, instead checking every xx minutes you have set.

Question I guess is how you want things to work.

If you want to go back to the old way where emails you download in Outlook are deleted off the server, then you'd need to remove the account from Outlook, add it back but set it to be a POP account instead of IMAP.
You would also need to set not to Send/Receive unless you tell it to, and if I recall it will also set to leave emails on the server after download by default.

Changing MailWasher to POP (although it does not really matter too much) can be done under Settings >> Accounts >> incoming >> change to POP >> uncheck Store Cached Email >> Save.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Aristodemus
Rattled Rabbit

Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:43 pm

"Previously I imagine you've been using POP to access the messages."

You're probably right, but I have no recollection of ever knowing that. I don't recall the process of setting up my original Outlook (at least as old a 2010, but probably older). And after all my Outlook upgrades (one of which was to 2013), during which I took no active part; Outlook and Mailwasher worked as they always had (as described in my original post).

I've never known anything about POP or IMAP, nor ever consciously chosen one or the other.

"With POP and Outlook, it will go to retrieve emails at xx minute intervals,"

My recollection is that Outlook did not retrieve my emails until I told it to. The only way I ever knew I had a new email was from a Mailwasher notification.

I'm still not sure exactly how reading an email in Outlook removes it from Mailwasher, then marking a "read" email in Outlook as "unread" puts it back into Mailwasher. Though based on what you have described, I suspect that is not as important as I originally thought it was.

"If you want to go back to the old way where emails you download in Outlook are deleted off the server, then you'd need to remove the account from Outlook, add it back but set it to be a POP account instead of IMAP."

I'm pretty sure I would like to return to how Outlook and Mailwasher used to work, though I am a bit reluctant to remove and re-add "the" account. I am still struggling from the original problem that caused me to buy Outlook 2019 ... and I don't want to see things get any worse.

This all began because several months ago, I suddenly was unable to Send emails from Outlook (which, at the time, was only linked to my email account at my ISP). I could receive emails in Mailwasher/Outlook, and I could Send and Receive emails directly from my ISP's web-email site, but could not Send email from Outlook.

I did some additional checking and found that a couple of anti-spam sites believed my IP address (I believe, my ISP assigned IP address) was being used for spam (suggesting that my ISP would need to fix the problem). I have never been close to being a spammer, but I could get no cooperation from my ISP (who claim they could not possibly be at fault - and that Outlook is probably the cause of the problem), so I had no information to counter the anti-spam sites claims.

I got Outlook 2019 in the hopes it would overcome the problem, but it could not overcome the problem - even after an hour of Microsoft support assistance.

So I setup Outlook 2019 to use my gmail email account instead of my ISP email account, but included my old ISP account as well (in the form of a .PST file - I use the old ISP account for my address book and for the old emails that I saved). I also added another very old M.S. live.com email account into Outlook (just so I wouldn't have to logon there separately to keep the account).

The account I now do all my Outlook Sending/Receiving from is the gmail account.

Sorry for the long post; my ignorance of how this all works leaves me frustrated at my inability to get things bask to the way they were. I will, most likely, try deleting/re-creating my gmail account (assuming that's the only one I need to deal with for this issue).

Thanks for your help.
Aristodemus
Rattled Rabbit

Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Sorry, I should have added that my main concern about what I perceive as the "new" treatment of emails in Mailwasher, is that I believed that Mailwasher was preventing potentially dangerous email from being downloaded to my pc until I had screened them in Mailwasher. That is still a concern to me.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 pm

No problem with the length of the posts, gives a clear idea of what's going on.

Aristodemus wrote:My recollection is that Outlook did not retrieve my emails until I told it to. The only way I ever knew I had a new email was from a Mailwasher notification.
Sorry yes, you are correct. When you access the emails via POP, you can either do so on a timed interval or as you say, have those timers disabled and just set to manual retrieval.

Aristodemus wrote:I'm still not sure exactly how reading an email in Outlook removes it from Mailwasher, then marking a "read" email in Outlook as "unread" puts it back into Mailwasher. Though based on what you have described, I suspect that is not as important as I originally thought it was.
Using IMAP to access emails has more features than POP. For example, emails you read in Outlook get flagged as Read on the server as well. When MailWasher goes to retrieve emails using IMAP, it asks for all Unread emails in the Inbox folder. That's why a message in MailWasher would disappear when Read, and reappear when flagged as Unread.

Aristodemus wrote:I did some additional checking and found that a couple of anti-spam sites believed my IP address (I believe, my ISP assigned IP address) was being used for spam (suggesting that my ISP would need to fix the problem). I have never been close to being a spammer, but I could get no cooperation from my ISP (who claim they could not possibly be at fault - and that Outlook is probably the cause of the problem), so I had no information to counter the anti-spam sites claims.
This is really the heart of the issue and what needs to be addressed.
Do you know if you are on a Static or Dynamic IP address ? Static means the IP address is tied to your account, each time your router connects to the ISP it will use that same address. Dynamic means you share a pool of IP addresses with other users and are assigned one of these from the pool when the router connects.

The IP address you used to access these forums is showing as being listed, importantly by exploit blocklists. That is to say, at some point from this IP address a virus or something malicious infected and sent a bunch of spam. That does not mean it was one of your machines, as above if you are on Dynamic another user from your ISP could have caused the issue.

That said, it would not hurt to download and run the free version of MalwareBytes. No need to buy the premium, just the free version will do nicely to check your machine(s)
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

What you probably need is a new IP address. If you are on Dynamic, then often turning off the Router for 10 minutes, then turning back on again will assign you a new one.
You could check here first https://www.whatismyip.com/ then do the Router restart and check again and see if it's the same.

If it is the same, you ideally can ask your ISP to assign you a new IP that is not listed. You can check IP here https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

I cannot access your ISPs support pages right now for some reason, but they will have a means to help you move to another IP.

I'll post more about the email side on things in about an hour, I need to head out briefly.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:19 pm

For the email aspect, if you want to address the GMail account, and add it into Outlook as a POP account, that also removes messages off the server once downloaded into Outlook.

In Outlook if you click File >> select Add Account >> in the popup click Advanced Options >> select Let me configure my account manually >> enter the email address >> Connect >> in the next screen select POP >> enter your password >> Next >> imagine you want to uncheck the option to setup Outlook Mobile on your phone >> Done.

Then in Outlook click the Send/Receive tab >> near the top select Send/Receive Groups >> in the menu select Define Send/Receive Groups >> uncheck the two options to 'Schedule an automatic Send/Receive every xx minutes' >> uncheck >> 'Perform and automatic Send/Receive when existing' >> Close.

Then in Outlook click File >> in the drop list of Accounts, select the POP version of your GMail account >> click the Account Settings button >> in the drop down menu select 'Account Name and Synch Settings' >> uncheck 'Leave a copy of messages on the server' >> Next >> Done.

To make the change in MailWasher to use POP instead of IMAP for the account, go Settings >> Accounts >> select the GMail account >> click the Incoming tab >> change the server type at the top from IMAP to POP >> uncheck Store Cached Emails if checked >> Save.

Now, GMail does some very weird things with email in general. Do not be surprised if the new POP account in Outlook downloads all your old emails, even messages you thought were deleted long ago. You can delete these in Outlook or MailWasher just fine.

Any other problems or questions, just ask, happy to help.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”