E-Mail Migration

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Boomerang
Student Sheep

Re: E-Mail Migration

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:51 pm

I just did a system reboot.

I checked once again the Microsoft Outlook set up - and received a Microsoft Outlook Test Message. It came through on Mailwasher Pro.

It only stayed there a few minutes without even opening Outlook and it disappeared.

I think it is something to do with the Telus mail residing on G-Mail that is the problem. I never had issues ever when the mail was from the pop.telus.net server.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:29 pm

Boomerang wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:51 pm
I just did a system reboot.

I checked once again the Microsoft Outlook set up - and received a Microsoft Outlook Test Message. It came through on Mailwasher Pro.

It only stayed there a few minutes without even opening Outlook and it disappeared.

I think it is something to do with the Telus mail residing on G-Mail that is the problem. I never had issues ever when the mail was from the pop.telus.net server.
Very very odd.
Can you I get some MailWasher logs. To do that go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum' >> in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back once sent so I can check they arrived all OK.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Got the logs, everything looks like it should. I can see MailWasher saw an email there for roughly 10 minutes before it vanished.
You could try using Recent Mode in MailWasher only, as that will load more messages. Apart from MW and the Outlook on your machines, do you have any other programs accessing the Telus account ?
Boomerang
Student Sheep

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:57 am

I have done much research. When Telus proclaimed how the migration was to work, we downloaded their software that would sync a Telus e-mail account to G Mail. In the sync process, all or much of your existing mail in your Outlook Data file went to G Mail heaven. Never did Telus ever mention a work around - changing the e-mail client protocols from pop.telus.net to pop.gmail.com. I regretfully discovered that later after 10 plus years of mail went to G Mail heaven.

So it now becomes G Mail protocols controlling the entire mail process. Yes, you can go into GMail Forwarding and POP/IMAP settings. There are various options. You can click - enable POP for all mail. Yes, that should work magic and download your mail onto both computers - Desktop and Sony Notebook. There is only one problem - all that mail for 10 years comes flooding back down. Even with Mailwasher Pro uninstalled it still comes flooding down.

So we change the GMail protocol to Enable POP for MAIL that arrives from now on. Well then the POP3 mail will only download into the first computer that opens Office Outlook. be it the Desktop or the Sony Notebook. That then raises the issue - should mail accounts be POP3 or IMAP. There is much discussion about this. Some claim IMAP is the better of the two.

So for now, I have removed Mailwasher Pro as it has become redundant until there is a work around in getting the G Mail client to recognize both computers and to be able to download what you want in current e-mail messages. Mailwasher Pro is what I need but currently it won't function correctly.

There is nothing else accessing my mail accounts. Of interest I have uninstalled all the Telus migration software that was on the computer. I have Office 2019 Outlook configured to the Telus Gmail specs for POP3 and SMTP and it will access the server and download - but - only to one computer. In the set up, it gave you a new Profile in Outlook Mail - a Telus G Mail sync profile. That too has been deleted by me.

Thanks Chris for taking on this battle with a giant.
Boomerang
Student Sheep

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:29 am

Out of interest, these were the Telus instructions for all to follow:

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/art ... te-outlook

These were the migration day checklist

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/art ... ogle-email
Boomerang
Student Sheep

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:44 am

Something else I have discovered!

We have a Samsung S3 Tablet, purchased in 2017 to take to Australia - that is where I was born and my first time back in over 44 years!

The Samsung S3 Tablet uses IMAP protocols for their mail server. I have configured both my wife and my accounts to the new Telus g-mail values. All the e-mails arrive off the G Mail server without issue.

I have read that POP3 protocols only permit a one time download off the server.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Boomerang wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:44 am
Something else I have discovered!

We have a Samsung S3 Tablet, purchased in 2017 to take to Australia - that is where I was born and my first time back in over 44 years!

The Samsung S3 Tablet uses IMAP protocols for their mail server. I have configured both my wife and my accounts to the new Telus g-mail values. All the e-mails arrive off the G Mail server without issue.

I have read that POP3 protocols only permit a one time download off the server.
POP3 allows multiple downloads, but it was standard practice for many years for clients to delete the copy off the server on download.
IMAP may very well be the answer, it's a synchronised email system, all emails are left on the server until deleted. Your clients will all see the same mail box.

Gmail does odd things with POP, that's why you are seeing all these all emails come back in. I don't know what triggers it, but I've had the same thing happen to me. Either IMAP or use the Recent Mode switch would get around that.

With IMAP also, MailWasher will by default check the Inbox folder, for Unread emails from the last 7 days, if you decide to reinstall you can change those behaviours under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”