E-Mail Migration

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Boomerang
Student Sheep

E-Mail Migration

Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Our Canadian e-mail provider Telus have switched their e-mail to one that is now powered by Goggle. They retain the rights over everything only that Goggle is where it is now stored. So what happens is that you download a file - GSSMO - that installs and converts your traditional Microsoft Office Outlook Mail file to the new format.

The problem! Mailwasher Pro is essentially cut of this and therefore becomes redundant unless you can configure a way to get it to function.

So to get Mailwasher to work, you would need to create a new account, find out the server address and then go from there. One would assume mail.goggle.com is the server but this doesn't work.

Has anyone else ever come across this situation?

Thanks.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: E-Mail Migration

Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:49 pm

For a GMail server it's imap.gmail.com when using IMAP to access the account, or pop.gmail.com when using POP to access the account.

Also you need to set the account to use SSL (Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced)

Try that first, see if it connects OK.
Boomerang
Student Sheep

Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks for your reply.

It seems Goggle now wants to block any access from Firetrust Mailwasher Pro from accessing the e-mail account. I received an e-mail that "someone" was trying to access my Telus G-Mail account. I confirmed it was me. I finally was able to change one setting for third party software but all this did was for an old G-Mail e-mail account I have never used.

So I still can't get Mailwasher to function using this new set up. I hate this when a provider switches your e-mail account and you have no choices.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:43 am

Yeah, you're not wrong.

GMail accounts require this thing called OAUTH, MailWasher doesn't support OAUTH as we got kicked off the system and told we weren't an email client. To use OAUTH again we would have to get our software audited, and for us the costs of this are prohibitive.

There is a work around, but it is temproary.
https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/art ... pplication

Scroll down to the section "Less secure applications (not recommended)" and as detailed set the option to Allow Less Secure Apps. The other settings are these if needed.

This will work until some time in 2021. Hopefully we've gotten back onto the OAUTH system by then.

Cheers
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Are you suggesting that gmail accounts will stop being supported sometime in 2021 if not back into OAUTH? If so, that would not be good.

I suppose I could forward all my gmail to my Cox email account, then use MWP to access the Cox account, but not sure I like that idea.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:27 pm

Digerati wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:22 pm
Are you suggesting that gmail accounts will stop being supported sometime in 2021 if not back into OAUTH? If so, that would not be good.

I suppose I could forward all my gmail to my Cox email account, then use MWP to access the Cox account, but not sure I like that idea.

No, this February 2021 (just checked to confirm month) date is just for GSuite. When ISPs like Telus migrate to Google Mail to manage their users email they use GSuite. Regular GMail accounts are not impacted by this time frame.

There may well come a point when Google decides to do this for all GMail. We'll continue to see about getting MW approved.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:56 pm

Phew!

I will note however, that gmail users still have to go into gmail settings to allow less secure applications. I wish there was a way to just allow MWP and not all.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
Boomerang
Student Sheep

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Many thanks, yes it worked. Funny thing, all my history of e-mails are flooding down into Mailwasher Pro. Wow, I might need to spend an entire day deleting them before it returns to normal.

I did the set up as detailed in the link you sent. Funny, many of these interesting links about migration are not readily visible - you seem to have to search for everything about this issue. I have talked to a few Telus account people and I am yet to hear a flawless experience yet.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by rusticdog on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed formatting
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Many thanks, yes it worked. Funny thing, all my history of e-mails are flooding down into Mailwasher Pro. Wow, I might need to spend an entire day deleting them before it returns to normal.

That will be due to MailWasher using POP. You've got a few options.
  • Delete them
  • Change MailWasher to use IMAP instead of POP. You can do that under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> when you make the change, the server address might be wrong, so if need be that needs to be imap.gmail.com When using IMAP, MailWasher will be default load all Unread emails in the Inbox folder from the last 7 days. Under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced >> you can change those options.
  • Reconfigure your GMail settings. If you go back to https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/art ... p_settings and follow the steps to get into your POP settings, there hsould be an option there you can check "Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on" >> click Save Changes down the very bottom. Once you set that, maybe give it 5 mintues, MailWasher should then only load emails you get after you enabled that option.
  • Use RECENT MODE, this is a GMail only feature that can only be used with POP. Under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> change your username to have recent: at the front. e.g. recent:forum@firetrust.com
    When used, only the last 30 days of emails will be available to MailWasher.
Boomerang
Student Sheep

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:02 pm

I have been on a learning curve. First I have discovered that you can actually download all your e-mails to your old Microsoft Office Outlook file and not have the hassle of the G Sync Suite for Microsoft Outlook that Telus only promotes. Telus mention nothing about setting up to access your pop.gmail.com account and having it default to your old Outlook file. But it brings about interesting things with Mailwasher Pro.

Yes, the mail will arrive with notification but after you open Outlook in Office 2019 it disappears and no longer resides as mail in Mailwasher Pro. I have two computers both set up the same way - Mailwasher Pro - Outlook as the main program for mail.

I would delight in getting rid of the Telus.net mail stored in G Mail which I view nothing more than spyware. But I don't know if that will ever be possible.

So, is there away for this mail to remain memory resident for seven days and then drop off as it did before? I am not sure if it is G Mail that is making this happen.

Many thanks.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Yeap, so if you want emails you download into Outlook to stay on the server for a few days, then in Outlook go File >> with the Telus account selected in the drop down menu, click Account Settings button >> select Account Name and Synch Settings >> you'll see an option there to 'Leave a copy of messages on the server" >> and you can also choose how many days to keep the emails, and also whether or not to remove messages that are Deleted.
Boomerang
Student Sheep

Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:36 pm

I checked both Microsoft Office 2019 Outlook Account settings. They are both identical. Leave a copy of messages on the server ticked - Remove from server after 7 days - ticked.

I sent a TEST message to myself. It came through on both computers and registered on Mailwasher Pro. I went upstairs to the Sony Notebook and opened the TEST e-mail with Microsoft Outlook. No problems.

I came back downstairs to the computer where the TEST message was sent and it already was deleted from Mailwasher Pro.

I checked Telus.net Mail - G-Mail and the TEST message is sitting there.

Must be a glitch in Mailwasher Pro but not sure of a fix.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:49 pm

OK sure thing, and MailWasher is also set to use POP I assume ?

If you check the Telus/GMail POP settings,

Open your email account in a browser by visiting mail.google.com/a/telus.net
Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner and select See all settings
From the top menu, select Forwarding and POP/IMAP
Check under POP download, that it's set to
"2. When messages are accessed with POP : Keep GMails copy in the Inbox"
Boomerang
Student Sheep

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:16 pm

I have four options:

When messages are accessed with POP:

keep Telus.net Mail's copy in the inbox
mark Telus.net Mail's copy as read
archive Telus.net mails copy
delete Telus.net Mail's copy
The first one is what is selected and the defauilt one too.

Both Mailwasher Pro and Microsoft Office Outlook have the identical settings:

`Account Type POP3

Incoming Mail Server pop.gmail.com
Requires SSL - Yes
Port: 995

Outgoing Mail Server smtp.gmail.com
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires Authentication : Yes
Port : 587
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Should be working then from what you describe. When MailWasher uses POP it just asks for all Inbox emails, there's no config involved.
Have your restarted Outlook since making changes to leave emails on the server, it might need to kick to properly use the setting.

Emails you download into one copy of Outlook stay in MailWasher, it's only emails you retrieve on the Sony Notebook that remove from MailWasher ?

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”