Honest question here before I buy a subscription. Advice anyone?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
jackdashack
Travelling Tuatara

Honest question here before I buy a subscription. Advice anyone?

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:01 pm

I am still wondering what the advantage of MailWasher is. It seems to take as much work each day as it would if all the mail came into my gmail account. Is there something I am not seeing. At least if a BLOCK a certain sender in Gmail it will always, without fail, go to SPAM and I can just one click delete them all forever.

The same adverts turn up everyday, over and over. And I have to go through the process of marking them, the same senders, everyday and I always blacklist them.

What is the difference of taking the time and labor in MW as opposed to the same efforts given in the Gmail account?

* Maybe this is what I don't get. If they come through as Blacklisted I don' have to mark them again as blacklisted? Sometimes, often the same ones I have Blacklisted come through as SPAM?

I am open to what I am not getting about MW. Please educate me on this before I spend the money.

Thanks, jack ":-}
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Honest question here before I buy a subscription. Advice anyone?

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:08 pm

Once MailWasher is flagging the emails well, not marking good emails as spam etc. Then enabling auto-delete is your next step.

To auto-delete emails flagged just as blacklisted, do that under Settings >> Spam Tools >> Blacklist >> Options.

If you also want to auto-delete emails that MailWasher is certain to be spam, then under Settings >> Spam Tools >> Spam Ratings >> set the auto-delete and throttle. I would start at around -140 and reduce to up to -100 is necessary.
As mentioned earlier, I would also make very good use of the Friends List and be sure all legitimate senders are on that list (including newsletters you want). This helps train MailWasher properly and also helps prevent accidental deletes with blacklisting.
jackdashack
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 pm

I appreciate that advice. I will review it and try to take advantage of all the features and knowledge before the trial is up.

Thanks for taking the time for my question! jack ":-}
jackdashack
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:13 am

rusticdog wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:08 pm
Once MailWasher is flagging the emails well,
Right. Okay. This a.m. I have a tone of RED grid lines. All ones previously marked over and over as Blacklist. This morning they are all listed as SPAM. So is the program actually learning what is blacklisted. I believe they are all in the blacklist folder. Or is there just a one letter or one digit difference. Still wanting to learn where this saves me time. I can't figure out this question just posed here. Any advice?

jack ":-\\
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:16 am

Yeah if it reads Spam, those emails are not blacklisted, instead they've been determined to be spam by the Learning.

I expect any messages tagged by the Blacklist have been auto-deleted, assuming you enabled that.
Did you enable the autodelete for learned messages, Settings >> Spam Tools >> Spam Ratings >> set the auto-delete and throttle. I would start at around -140 and reduce to up to -100 if necessary.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:57 am

In addition to all said above, one of the biggest advantages for me is how MWP acts as my email client. If you have more than one email account, MWP will allow you to access and process the email from all your accounts at the same time (or one at a time), putting and sorting all your emails in one single, convenient inbox. That's HUGE!

I have 6 email accounts. Some are gmail.com and some are with my ISP. Having them all accessible in one inbox is an invaluable convenience for me. This is especially true since I receive about 50 emails a day sent to all those accounts. But of those 50 or so, I may want to keep only 2 - 3, if that. The rest are forum reply notifications, newsletters I have subscribed to, FedEx or Amazon tracking notifications, paycheck direct deposit notices, debit card purchase notifications, and other emails I want to see, but don't need to keep.

MWP makes it simple to review all 50, reply to those I want to reply to, and then delete all those I don't need to keep - all from one single inbox.

Then of course, with the filters, MWP makes it easy to automatically mark the emails for easy identification (and sorting). For example, emails from my family have a separate filter so I can spot those instantly among the 50 or so emails.

Having said all that, even if I had just one email address, just the thought that MWP lets me see and process my emails WITHOUT potentially downloading any malicious HTML code, links or unsolicited attachments to my local machine gives me great peace of mind.

Is it perfect? No. No spam blocker is. The bad guys, many of whom are extremely clever, are constantly striving to circumvent existing security measures, and developing new security threats, and changing their tactics. If it was easy to stop the bad guys, spam would be stopped at the source. Malware would be nonexistent, there would be no such thing as robocalls and unwanted text messages.

Look at your own Gmail accounts. Gmail has a built in spam blocker and it does catch many. But look at how many get through! And have you looked in your Gmail spam folder lately? I make a habit of checking mine every 3 weeks. Why? Because I always find several "false positives" in there - emails that Gmail tagged as spam that are in fact good, and I want to see.

MailWasher Pro is a must have in my book. And no, I don't work for or get paid by Firetrust to say any of that!
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”