MW 7.12.38; Outlook and Comcast Mail Not washing after retrievals

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
jim137
Mystified Moa

MW 7.12.38; Outlook and Comcast Mail Not washing after retrievals

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:02 am

just this last week MW has stopped updating the inbox after checking and washing mail.

Black listed entries do wash and vanish; Friendly entries do not.

This is with Outlook IMAP and with Comcast mail.

I tried a repair install in case of some sort of problem.

I have discovered if I exit MW by right clicking on it's icon; and then restarting it updates correctly which makes me believe it is something in MW.

Please advise.

Latest Outlook (Office 365), all current win 10 updates (release 2004)

Ran sfc /scannow; no problems
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: MW 7.12.38; Outlook and Comcast Mail Not washing after retrievals

Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:03 pm

With IMAP all emails are left on the server after download. That means MailWasher will continue to show emails in the Inbox folder.

By default when using IMAP, MailWasher will only load Unread emails in the Inbox folder. Reading a message in Outlook, or moving it from one folder to another should then remove it from MailWashers view after the next Check Mail.

Can you confirm if this is what you are seeing.
jim137
Mystified Moa

Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:31 pm

I have been using MW for nearly 4 years, I know how it works. When I see mail I want to respond to in MW; I do a wash and MW loads the mail not blacklisted into outlook. I then read, look at or move the newly incomed mail. I close outlook. I get a notice from MW that there is new mail and all the mail I had received, read and moved is still there with whatever new mail has come in. I do the same previous process , read the new mail, (the previous batch has been read deleted or moved), close outlook. Come back into MW some time later and all emails read, deleted or moved are still there from all three sessions. The list just keeps growing unless I take some action.

Rather than shutting MW down, I have discovered a work around I was un-aware of reading the forum; by pressing C in the MW window, the grid can be cleared and the read, deleted emails or moved emails are no longer in the list.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:29 pm

That's very odd. Clearing the message list (C then Y on the keyboard) should be just the same as a regular Check Mail. If the messages are no longer present, MailWasher should be removing them.

Do these unwanted messages that remain in MailWasher have a strike line through them ?
jim137
Mystified Moa

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:20 am

No they do not. They do not change except the blacklisted vanish with a wash.
Now I have noticed in Outlook something I have not seen before; some messages have a strike line through them.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:28 am

Yeah, with IMAP messages can be flagged for delete but not yet removed. They get removed when an EXPUNGE command is issued.
MailWasher issues that command on Wash Mail, Outlook can be done using Purge https://www.lifewire.com/purge-deleted- ... ok-1173703

There is probably a way also to set that to happen automatically, depending what version of Outlook you are using.

MailWasher is also set to use IMAP to access the account and not POP ?
jim137
Mystified Moa

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:43 am

If no one else is having a problem, it must be something in my system, account or mail program.

I hate to waste someone's time on my own setup type problem.

I checked out the purge site, I was unaware of this, did a purge.

Went online to Comcast to see what it looked like.

The trash was sitting there so I emptied the trash online.

I checked my version of Outlook, I am only set up IMAP and it is the July release 16.0.13029.20308 of and there are no more current updates.

I checked the settings tab in MW, which to my knowledge I have not touched in years.

A couple of folders were not checked under my inbox so I added them.

I am waiting for some mail (more likely SPAM) to come in.

Do you think it could help to totally clean uninstall MW and reboot and re-install?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Just removing the account from MailWasher >> restarting the program >> adding it back in should have the same effect as an uninstall.

Do you have an Antivirus program with an email scanner component, if so you could try disabling just the email protection aspect.

Cheers
jim137
Mystified Moa

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:58 am

Made no difference.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:37 am

Can you send me some logs. To do that go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum - jim137' >> in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent, so I can check they arrived all OK.

Cheers
jim137
Mystified Moa

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Sorry, I had given up. I believe it is something new in Outlook. Outlook has several new features that weren't there before. For instance, if I wash the mail and view it in Outlook and happen to keep some email open and then shut down Outlook; the next time I open it Outlook it asks if I want to open the email that was left open when I closed the program. It never asked that before. I have sent the logs as requested. Is nobody else having this problem?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Not the issue as you describe.
Can you go into Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> click the IMAP tab >> make a note of the folders you want to check >> hit Refresh >> this will refresh the list of folders available and recheck those you wish to check.
It's possible some folders may be missing, as it seems like MailWasher is presently set to check some folders that no longer exist.

Try that first, see how it goes.

If you are looking at other email programs, ThunderBird ought to be able to import your Outlook setup and it's highly configurable so can be adjusted to suite needs easily.
jim137
Mystified Moa

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:08 pm

You can label my problem as solved. I do not remember ever picking which folders are monitored and I had made quite a few changes to folder structure over the summer in Outlook. I changed the help file and there is no entry for the IMAP folder in settings. No description about what is going on here. I would have thought checking inbox would check everything, but that was not the case. A select all option might be helpful or I really don't have a clue what this tab is about. Thanks for solving my problem anyway!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:32 pm

OK no problem.

Just to clarify, your emails are stored in folders and you'll see the same folder structure in Outlook.
Using IMAP you can access any of these folders and the emails in them
New emails come into the Inbox, and can be moved into the various subfolders you have setup.

By default MailWasher only checks the Inbox folder given that's where the new emails come into, but you can tell it to check other folders if you wish.
jim137
Mystified Moa

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:31 am

I have many rules that automatically move incoming into other folders. This must be another part of what messed things up.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”