Still struggling with MW Pro.

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Still struggling with MW Pro.

Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:39 pm

I am struggling with MW Pro and WLM, had problem before and Jeremy one of your tech people assisted with my setup to delete mails within MW Pro. So far so good I thought but another problem has reared its head. After washing mail in MW the mail saved goes to WLM where I read it and possibly delete it, going back into MW to wash all mail not needed, back to WLM to find all the mail I wanted kept has disappeared too. Not a happy bunny when I cannot get the mail back. Jeremy told me to go into my gmail webmail page>settings>forwarding and POP>POP download> A select 2. When messages are accessed with POP "delete Gmails copy " at the above location too. Should I have done this or is this why my good mail is deleted too. Could have answered my own question really so will have a poke around with the settings. Watch this space.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Still struggling with MW Pro.

Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:46 pm

Yeah something ain't right.

Can you send me a screenshot of your mail account settings in WLM to forum@firetrust.com
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:33 am

Sent, hope I have done it right, not very good on the tech stuff.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:08 am

Yup, great.

That account is setup in WLM as an IMAP account, not POP. Which explains the behaviour you describe.

With IMAP, all emails are left on the server and synchronised. The Inbox folder you see in WLM, would show the same emails in your GMail Inbox here https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox and MailWasher would load these same emails too. There is a slight difference with MailWasher in that by default, it only loads Unread emails in the Inbox folder from the last few days.

This is why emails you retrieve into WLM, still show in MailWasher.

It also means delete an email in MW, it will delete in WLM, and vice versa. Or delete the email via the website, it would delete in all the programs.

If you created subfolders in WLM, beneath your GMail Inbox and moved a message from Inbox to a subfolder, MailWasher would no longer see it, as it's not the Inbox folder.

I guess really the question is, if you want to keep using IMAP or go to POP in WLM.
With POP, you could set WLM to delete the email off the server once you download it. When you do that, the message is gone, MailWasher wouldn't see it any more and the only copy of the email would be in WLM **caveat

If you have any questions feel free to ask. GMail itself is not the simplest, and I can hopefully point you in the right direction to get the email finally setup in a way that works for you.

If you do revert to POP, there is the setting you mentioned "When messages are accessed with POP" here https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop
I don't feel should be set to delete GMails copy, it should be 'keep GMails copy in the Inbox'. I would do it this way, so that WLM and MW can decide what emails are to be deleted and when. It's a slight technical difference, but one I think is safer.

**caveat
GMail is different than pretty much every other email provider and doesn't like deleting emails permanently. It's probable a copy of those messages you already deleted and wanted to keep are in the 'All Mail' folder.
In your screenshot it looked like you were in that folder already in WLM, so you can drag and drop a message from the ALL MAIL, to the INBOX folder.

Alternatively, from the website the All Mail folder can be seen here https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#all

Click the Check Box to select any specific message(s), and there is a 'Move To Inbox' option that will restore the messages to that folder.
move_to_inbox.jpg
move_to_inbox.jpg (65.28 KiB) Viewed 3012 times
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:22 am

Thankyou Chris, it must have taken you a while to type all that out. Fingers and toes crossed but it is working, it took me ages to wade through every settings page but I got there in the end.
Very many thanks, no doubt you will be hearing from me again.
Stay safe.
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 am

Thought I spoke too soon, deleting mail in MW but it appears in WLM, once again I am back where I started. Kind of defeats the object of MW.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:13 am

sloppy33 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 am
Thought I spoke too soon, deleting mail in MW but it appears in WLM, once again I am back where I started. Kind of defeats the object of MW.
OK sure thing. Is MailWasher also using IMAP (Check under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming) >> another quirk with GMail is that the Inbox folders are separated depending how you access the account. If you are using POP in MailWasher, but IMAP in WLM this can happen.
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:21 am

I change WLM to POP but next time I check it has gone back to IMAP. I had my grandson look at the problem and his suggestion is to not use MW Pro but I have been using it for many years and I am not happy with this idea. I am afraid that I shall be outvoted if I cant sort it out myself.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:58 pm

sloppy33 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:21 am
I change WLM to POP but next time I check it has gone back to IMAP. I had my grandson look at the problem and his suggestion is to not use MW Pro but I have been using it for many years and I am not happy with this idea. I am afraid that I shall be outvoted if I cant sort it out myself.
I suspect you aren't changing the account to actually use POP, instead just changing the server address ?

In WLM you cannot switch an account back and forth between POP and IMAP, instead you would need to add it as a new account and select POP as the account type when initially setting up. You can safely keep both POP and IMAP setups in WLM while you work through that.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”