Yahoo mail redux

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Yahoo mail redux

Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:17 pm

Anyone having problem with Yahoo and MWP (and/or your desktop email program) in the past several days? This is not a MWP-only situation, but I figure it's worth asking here. I have two free Yahoo mail accounts. Each is set up exactly the same way in MWP and my email program (Sylpheed). All of a sudden one of the two, unfortunately the main one I use, started returning an IMAP server error in MWP and timing out in the email program. The other account continues working just fine. I've tried everything short of paying Yahoo $5 for help (for what that's worth), from deleting/reestablishing to trying unsuccessfully to create a new account, to posting on a Win 10 forum. I'm not sure what else to do. The warnings Yahoo put out about the October 20 deadline seem to apply to mobile apps only, something discussed in my previous thread. But if someone has found differently, I'd like to hear. Thanks,
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Yahoo mail redux

Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Remind me, were you using OAUTH in MailWasher for the account that is failing (Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced).

Try enabling if it is not set and see if that works.
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:36 pm

That seems to be for POP3 not IMAP. I tried going back to POP3 and couldn't get it to work. And something I didn't mention, today I deleted the problem account (once again) from MWP, rebooted and then reestablished it. However, Yahoo then started throwing up pop ups that go nowhere and cause MWP to close if unattended. So I deleted it. The only potentially logical thing I can think of to explain all this is desktop MWP and email programs are in fact included in the change, and Yahoo is implementing the change gradually. It's just strange that Yahoo didn't refer to Windows desktops explicitly, but used the term apps and presented a list of mobile apps.

I just came across this thread that may offer some clues when I have time to study it: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... %2C%202020. I'm going to search some more, as there are undoubtedly lots of people confused by Yahoo.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:47 pm

There is still the bug in MailWasher that we found after this last time, where accessing the account via POP was not working correctly. So it's possible that problem still exists.

OAUTH is not just for IMAP, it's a more secure way to access the account for both IMAP and POP. This is what Yahoo is enabling for all mail clients (apps and programs).
That means you either use OAUTH and your regular main password, or create an App Specific Password to use in the client.

The popups that were showing were for OAUTH, which requires an initial approval process, once done you don't see these again.

I've made a short video of what I get using OAUTH. As you have multiple Yahoo accounts, you might need to choose the signout option, and sign into the Yahoo account first.

https://grumpy.tinytake.com/tt/NDc3ODQyOF8xNTA5NTA4MA
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:13 pm

The video goes a little quick for me. Did you start in MWP with the Yahoo pop up? And then where did you go for the code? The latter is what I've missed. And then what did you do in your email program to get the server to respond?

Like I said, with IMAP last month in MWP, I couldn't get a server response when OAUTH was checked.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:20 pm

Looks like something has been cut off, you should see the code being input into the bottom.

Here's a Youtube link instead, so you can slow it down if need be https://youtu.be/3Z1--bP6PL0
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:36 pm

(text deleted...)
After failure, went to the my Account Security page at Yahoo mail and generated a password, inserted it in MWP and it works. Got it going for that acct on my email program too. Thanks.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”