MW Pro won't delete GMAIL emails - even when deleted from GMAIL

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
S400
Rattled Rabbit

MW Pro won't delete GMAIL emails - even when deleted from GMAIL

Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Please only respond if you have an ANSWER to my questions - I do not want a load of "me too" or "guessing" replies

I have been using MW Pro for yonks now - and recently decided to add a GMAIL.COM email account into Mailwasher.
-
I followed all the instructions to set this up, using the "less secure" method from the GMAIL end, nd configured the GMAIL account as an IMAP account.
-
But I cannot delete any emails in MW Pro from the GMAIL account.
I tick them for delete, but after doing a wash mail they just stay in the list - still with the delete tick !
-
I even deleted these emails in GMAIL itself and then tried refreshing the MW Pro list and they still showed there - and they still won't delete on wash mail.
-
QUESTION (1)
So how on earth do I get rid of these emails which are not even in GMAIL any more ?
-
QUESTION (2)
Int the future - when I want to flag for deletion any NEW emils from the GMAIL account - just HOW will I get GMAIL to delete them ?

Or is my better solution to forget about trying to use MW Pro with GMAIL, and just manage unwanted emails in GMAIL itself ?

PS: MW Pro is working fine with all my other email accounts (which are secure POP3 accounts) - only GMAIL Is the problem, and this is the only one which is IMAP.
Perhaps MW Pro doesn't work well with IMAP accounts ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: MW Pro won't delete GMAIL emails - even when deleted from GMAIL

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:29 pm

The emails remaining in MailWasher with the delete option checked, sounds very much like MailWasher isn't able to get a successful delete. It's left the emails in the list to indicate they weren't deleted, otherwise they would be removed from the main screen.

If you can send me some logs I can look and see if there are any obvious errors.

To do that go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'delete gmail fails' >> in the Ticket NUmber field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back here once you sent the logs, so I can check they arrived all OK.

Cheers
S400
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:14 am

Hi Chris,
I have sent the logs now.
Thanks
Richard
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:29 am

Great thanks.

Under Settings >> Accounts >> select the Gmail account on the left and check the IMAP tab >> uncheck the folder 'All Mail' from being checked >> Save.

That'll stop the problem you describe.

As to why, I don't full understand it, as GMail has a less than usual email system.
I believe all emails get labelled and it's the label that determines which emails show up in which folders, this is different than a regular folder system.
They also have the All Mail folder, which I guess is all messages regardless of the label, this includes messages Sent, Deleted etc..which explains why a message you delete still shows, as MailWasher is presently loading the 'All Mail' folder.
S400
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:45 pm

OK thanks !

That worked.
I think I had All Mail folder because the inbox tends not to show everything - only "Focussed" emails. (Something I unset every time I see it, and something which Gmail intermittently re-imposes).
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:50 pm

Glad to hear it.

The settings you need to reset are these ones ? https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/inbox
By my testing, if the Inbox is set to type Default, and all Categories (except Primary) are unchecked, then the Inbox should show all the incoming emails.
CRoberts
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:46 pm

rusticdog wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:29 am
Under Settings >> Accounts >> select the Gmail account on the left and check the IMAP tab >> uncheck the folder 'All Mail' from being checked >> Save.
That'll stop the problem you describe.
KUDOS rusticdog ! ! !

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”