MW deletes mail not marked for delete

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
BillUK
Student Sheep

MW deletes mail not marked for delete

Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:17 am

Hi
About three days ago MW deleted email during a wash that were not marked for delete. I realised something was wrong as the delete count rocketed from the three or four emails I was expecting to over a hundred. I stopped the wash but several of the emails seem to have been permanently deleted - ie, not in the Recycle Bin

I washed mail the following day but the same thing happened. It appears to be affecting all my email accounts

I have stopped washing mail as I can't afford to lose anyy more emails

What is going wrong? Is there any way of retrieving the lost messages?

Thanks

Bill
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: MW deletes mail not marked for delete

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:26 am

Hi Bill

I've not heard of the delete counter increasing like that before.
What I would do is remove the account from MailWasher first, restart the program, add the account back. When you add the account back in, be sure Store Cached Emails is not checked, you can check that under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming.

Also under Help >> User Files >> there will be a Logs folder >> if you right click on this and select Send To >> Compressed Folder >> this will create logs.zip >> if you can email me that file to forum@firetrust.com
BillUK
Student Sheep

Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:30 pm

Hi
I sent the log file to you a few days ago - have you had a chance to look at it yet?
Thanks
Bill
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:58 am

Hi Bill

No I didn't receive anything, you sent them to forum@firetrust.com ?
Can you try resending.

Thanks
BillUK
Student Sheep

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:29 pm

Hi

I sent the log files on 12th January to forum@firestrust.com

I have re-sent them from <removed>

Thanks

Bill
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:45 pm

Great thanks, received OK.

Can you let me know which account you are having this issue with ? If it's the Conservation account, can you go into Settings >> Accounts >> select the Incoming tab for this account >> be sure Store Cached EMails is not checked, change it to IMAP at the top >> click Advanced >> set whether or not you want to Download Read Email >> and also set how many days of emails to retrieve >> Save.
The server address is the same, and MailWasher will change the port to 143 which looks like will work.

If you choose to only download the last xx days of messages and not all email, that should help also with the volume of emails MailWasher loads.

Lastly, unrelated, but you have an account RKZ that is failing to logon. Looks like the username is incorrect
BillUK
Student Sheep

Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:51 am

Hi

Thank you - I have made the changes you suggest.

The issue affected my Conservation account and also my Virgin account. Two emails have disappeared from my Virgin account - one from a friend and one confirming receipt of an important email. I received both of them but they disappeared later presumably deleted by MW when it deleted all the others. I tried to restore the delted emails but not all of them appeared in MW's Recycling Bin. Some of the deleted emails could not be restored and are, I think, the Returned Mail ones

Do you know what happened?

Is there any way of retrieving the lost emails?

Thanks

Bill
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:02 pm

No I'm not sure, the logs don't track exact movements of each email, and this weird issue of the delete counter ramping up puzzles me a lot as well.

In the Recycle Bin there is an option at the top, Show All Email Logged >> you can check that and see if the messages show there, and restore from that if possible.
BillUK
Student Sheep

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi

I have just started my laptop, opened MW and looked at today's mail. There are two emails - one a notification from Firestrust about your forum reply and the other a renewal notice from LV regarding motor insurance (<edited>@lv.co.uk). Both are marked as Friend and neither have been marked for delete by me but when I looked in the Recycle Bin they are both there

Both emails are in my email client but obviously will disappear if I did a mail wash

I have not marked any emails for delete

I have sent the log file

Just so you are aware, the email registered with MW is <removed> (which is an old address I no longer use) and the one I use to send log files id <removed>

Cheers!

Bill
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:57 pm

You have the Show All Email logged checked in the Recycle Bin now right ? If so, MailWasher will show all emails seen, but not deleted. The Deleted column should be blank for these emails.
With Show All Email unchecked, then MailWasher only shows the emails it deletes.

Have also updated our records to your current email address.
BillUK
Student Sheep

Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:53 am

No, this was before I checked the Show All Email logged in the Recycle Bin
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:13 am

So if I have this right, you never saw these two emails in the Inbox in MailWasher, only in the Recycle Bin ?
And there is a date/time in the deleted column in the Recycle Bin also for those emails ?
BillUK
Student Sheep

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:50 am

The two emails appeared in the MW inbox and also in the Recycle Bin although they had not been deleted. I have not done a MW wash since I first reported the issue just in case I lost any more messages. They were not flagged for delete in the Inbox and they had not been marked with a delete date in the Recycle Bin

They both appear in my email client today but only appear in the Recycle Bin if I check Show All Email Logged
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:53 am

BillUK wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:50 am
The two emails appeared in the MW inbox and also in the Recycle Bin although they had not been deleted. I have not done a MW wash since I first reported the issue just in case I lost any more messages. They were not flagged for delete in the Inbox and they had not been marked with a delete date in the Recycle Bin

They both appear in my email client today but only appear in the Recycle Bin if I check Show All Email Logged
Yeah OK, so that sounds fairly usual, although something may have got muddled with the Recycle Bin toggle, so a graphical glitch.
If an email was showing in the Inbox then it hasn't been deleted, and for it to show in the Recycle Bin with no date in the Deleted column would mean it had just been logged, but not actually deleted.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”