Mailwasher Free does not rate all emails

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Kafka
Travelling Tuatara

Mailwasher Free does not rate all emails

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:53 pm

I have had this problem for a while now. Mailwasher rates incoming emails and colours them red if they are probably spam and green if they are probably OK. This is very helpful but a lot of emails are neither red or green which means that I have to individually mark them as spam (so that they turn red). This reduces the value of Mailwasher somewhat. Do I need t6 do something to fix this?
Mailwasher.jpg
Mailwasher.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Mailwasher Free does not rate all emails

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:56 pm

Over time, your classifying the emails as good and spam should make MailWasher learn, generally speaking after 100 or so emails the results should be better.

Are you using any kind of cleanup software like AutoTune that removes unwanted files ? We've found in the past these programs tend to remove important files to MailWasher and it could be cleaning up the information from your previous training.
Kafka
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:02 pm

I have been using Mailwasher for many years now. I occasionally use CCleaner and Glary Utilities.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:36 pm

OK great. CCleaner would be fine, Glary used to give us problems but I think it's fixed now, at least it seems OK from my most recent install.

In Glary if you click on Advanced Tools >> select Disk Cleanup >> once the scan is complete, uncheck MailWasher Pro from the list on the left >> close the cleanup utility. It should in theory now ignore MailWasher entirely which is what you want.

Failing that, next time you notice some emails in MailWasher that you feel should be getting tagged, flick me some logs.
To do that go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum' >> in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent, so I can be sure they arrived all OK.

Cheers
Kafka
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:28 pm

I did as you suggested but dound that Mailwasher Pro was already unchecked. I'll see what happens overnight and send you logs if the problem persists. Is there any point in my getting rid of Glary Utilities?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pm

OK, with that being the case I don't feel like Glary will be the issue, so no need to remove. Fingers crossed logs show us what could be going on.

Cheers
Kafka
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:59 am

Chris, I have sent you the Support logs.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:07 pm

Many thanks, received all OK.

Sadly? the logs look really good, we don't record each email and the score it receives from the learning, but I can see a very healthy mix of email trained. 6000+ words have their probability mapped on how spammy/good they are, which certainly means no data is being wiped or deleted as this takes time to build.

No errors or problems that I can see at all.

What I'd try first, is Settings >> General >> Checking Mail >> shift the throttle from 320 lines per email to 500 >> Save >> restart MailWasher.
This might help as it gives MailWasher more data to work with. If the emails you receive have very large header content, then MailWasher might be missing out on seeing a better amount of the actual email body.

If that doesn't work, just for kicks try setting it to 9999 >> Save >> restart MailWasher.

Also if you right click a message >> select Show Evaluation Details >> this will present the sidebar, are these emails showing anything under the Learning ? MailWasher assigns a score, if the email is between -50 to +50, it is considered unsure, so leaves it unclassified.
Kafka
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 pm

I have changed the throttle to 500 as you suggest and will see what happens. I clicked Show Evaluation Details afor a red message nd its evaluation was -104. I will do the same to unrated messages if they continue to appear and let you know how they are evaluated.
Kafka
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:27 pm

Changing the throttle to 500 did not help, nor did changing it to 9999. I still get a large number of unrated emails which, I think, are all spam.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:22 pm

Odd.

So if you train those emails as spam, uncheck the delete column before you Wash Mail >> then restart MailWasher and recheck the account, do all these emails you marked then show as spam ?
Kafka
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:34 pm

I did as you suggested, unchecking Delete, running Wash then restarting. I found that the same 10 emails were there as before I pressed Wash. If I then pressed Wash again Thunderbird opened immediately. The spam I had unchecked delete for did not appear on Thunderbird while remaining in Mailwasher.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:43 pm

Kafka wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:34 pm
I did as you suggested, unchecking Delete, running Wash then restarting. I found that the same 10 emails were there as before I pressed Wash.
Were these emails marked as spam correctly in MailWasher after the restart ?
Kafka
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:42 am

Yes, though the one unrated email remained unrated.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:00 am

Yeah OK, it does sound like things are working correct, and just more training is required. This does surprise me given how much training data you already had.
As long as you are using Thumbs Up/Down to teach MailWasher and correct any unrated or wrongly classified emails, then you're doing all you can.

Another option, if you care to would be to just wipe and start fresh. MailWasher then would only be looking at your most current emails, rather than looking back at all the emails including ones from many months ago.
It means initially you'd need to classify all your emails again. But it may just need a kick.

To wipe out the training so far, you go Settings >> Spam Tools >> Learning >> hit Reset Learning >> wait 30 seconds or so >> restart MailWasher.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”