deleted...not

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
sloppy33
Active Albatross

deleted...not

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:02 pm

Still havnt cracked the problem of deleted MW Pro mail still showing up in Windows live mail. I now only have one email address and MW works well at collecting my mail. Problem comes when I delete said mail in MW and then open WLM there it is again and I have to delete from there all over again. Kinda defeats the object of MW doesnt it. Any help would be much appreciated.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: deleted...not

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:18 pm

You're going to have to remind me on the setup you have.

Can you go into MailWasher >> Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> click Advanced >> MailWasher was set to POP right ?
And Windows Live Mail was set to IMAP ?
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:35 am

Hi rustic dog, hope you are well. You are correct that MWP is set to pop and WLM is set to IMAP. Gmail is also set to pop and Imap, complete novice at these things and with social distancing I have no-one to come in and sort it out for me.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:47 am

Doing well thanks, hope you're keeping clean :)

So the quick fix to address the delete issue is change MailWasher to IMAP, which you can do under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> change at the top >> Save.

The reason this happens is that GMail maintains different Inboxes for POP and IMAP. Do note, that when you use IMAP, if you delete an email from MailWasher it will delete in Windows Live Mail also, as IMAP is a synchronised email system.

Try it out if you don't get my meaning, send yourself a test email and load the message in both MailWasher and WLM and then delete the email in MailWasher, you should see it vanish from WLM.

Another slight quirk with MailWasher and IMAP, by default MailWasher will only load Unread emails from the last few days. Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced >> you can set here if you want MailWasher to show emails flagged as Read, and also how many days of emails to load.
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:43 am

Well that was easy Rustic dog, many thanks for explaining it so clearly. Hopefully you will not hear from me for a while. Stay safe.xx
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:39 am

Sorry Rustic dog, me again. I switched my pc on this morning and I am back where I started, I delete in MW but it still appears in WLM. I have checked everything you spoke about yesterday and it is still the same, nothing has changed in settings. From being cock a hoop yesterday today it is depression, so disappointed.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:26 am

OK, can you confirm for me, when you delete an email in MailWasher and it still shows in WLM, if you trigger a manual Check/Get Messages/Sync (I forget what it's called) in WLM, does that deleted message still show ?
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:52 pm

Its send and receive. I cannot get that far because as soon as I open WLM using "mail program" in MW whatever mail I have just deleted in MW pops up again in WLM. Even if I shut down MW whatever mail comes in will show in WLM as soon as I open the program. I do not need to use the send and receive button.
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:30 pm

Another thought, I seem to have both MW and WLM checking Googlemail at the same time and they both receive the same mail. Does this help? it must be difficult for you to assess the problem remotely.
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:58 am

OK something radically wrong today, MW and WLM seem to be acting independently of each other. Mail being collected by MW as normal, being deleted by me as normal. Open WLM as normal and lo and behold the mail I deleted in MW appears, not only that but I now get all the spam mail that MW used to sort for me. Not normal and makes me wonder why I have MW at all because it is chuntering along on its own doing nothing for me. What is going wrong?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:00 am

sloppy33 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:58 am
OK something radically wrong today, MW and WLM seem to be acting independently of each other. Mail being collected by MW as normal, being deleted by me as normal. Open WLM as normal and lo and behold the mail I deleted in MW appears, not only that but I now get all the spam mail that MW used to sort for me. Not normal and makes me wonder why I have MW at all because it is chuntering along on its own doing nothing for me. What is going wrong?
Is MailWasher still set to IMAP, or did it go back to POP under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming ?
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:14 am

Mail Washer stayed set to IMAP. Gmail stayed on IMAP and Pop is disabled in Gmail.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:20 am

And just so I'm clear, emails you delete in MailWasher are not deleting from WLM at all ?
sloppy33
Active Albatross

Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:25 am

Thats correct, it does appear that WLM is getting the emails before MW, They both seem to be doing the same job and not communicating with each other.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:36 am

sloppy33 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:25 am
Thats correct, it does appear that WLM is getting the emails before MW, They both seem to be doing the same job and not communicating with each other.
Are you adverse to trying another email program ? You can keep WLM to fall back to if you don't like alternatives, and it's a GMail account so there's no hope of losing emails. Reason I say this is ThunderBird has better options with IMAP accounts, you can tell ThunderBird to only load emails when you want them to, rather than WLM with has automatic collection with no way to disable it.

Understandably though, getting used to another program is never nice. If you aren't however, check out https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/
It will do almost all the setup, once it has your GMail up and running then in ThunderBird go Tools >> Accounts Settings >> select Server Settings on the left >> uncheck the three options
Check for messages at startup
Check for messages every xx minutes
Allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive
Click OK >> restart Thunderbird.

Then to load messages, just hit 'Get Messages'

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”