Delete all mail to an account except when from friends

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
mw62
Active Albatross

Delete all mail to an account except when from friends

Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:37 am

Hello

I have an account that I hardly use - I can't delete the account as it is linked to my ISP.
However, I get quite a lot of spam.

I have already created a rule to mark/delete all mail to that account. It is easy.
However, a few friends still use it. Even though I already told them to please use another account, they still use it.
I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill so I let it rest.

However, whilst have a rule in place to mark all mail to that account as spam and to be deleted, I was seeking a way to add an exception when mail originates from people in the friends list, or alternatively I add them one by one as an 'exception' on the rule.

Note sure if it is possible though, I haven't found a way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Later: It strikes me that mails are marked to be deleted within Mailwasher, but yet they are in my mailbox, whereas that specific account involves a POP account.
(By default I am using Outlook 365 - my Outlook.com is on Exchange basis, but that specific account, i.e. the one that I am hardly using is a POP3 account)
So, MW shows them, I have not 'washed' the mail yet, but still they have already arrived in that mailbox.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Delete all mail to an account except when from friends

Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:05 am

The quick way to do that is create a Custom Filter, have two rules. One where if the TO, CONTAINS, PLAIN TEXT, your email address
Then the second rule click the drop down beside Add Rule >> select Spam Tool Rule >> select Sender Not On Friends List.

Change the filter to match ALL rules, instead of ANY.

That will match any emails addressed to the account, but not from Friends.

With the emails arriving in Outlook 365, it sounds like that is set to automatically download new emails. In Outlook click on the Send/Receive heading >> click Send/Receive Groups >> select Define Send/Receive Groups >> uncheck the automatic send/receive every xx minutes >> OK.
That should stop the POP emails being brought in, unless you trigger a Send/Receive.
mw62
Active Albatross

Re: Delete all mail to an account except when from friends

Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:13 pm

Ah....
Many thanks indeed!
Initially I got as far as the 1st rule, but didn't know how to proceed from that point on.

Also thanks for the 2nd matter (automatic download). I forgot to uncheck that option. As said, normally I hardly use that mailbox, but I am getting quite a bit of spam over the last 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, matter solved now.

Again, many thanks!

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”