A few newbie questions

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Cynthia Moore
Rattled Rabbit

A few newbie questions

Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:31 am

MailWasher was recommended to me over on Bleeping Computer (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... com-et-al/).

I've been reading the help, but I have a question before I download the trial version.

As I understand it, the "normal" way to use MW is to run it before running Outlook so it can deal with spam before it ever gets to my computer. But I usually have Outlook running all the time. It checks the server every few minutes and downloads whatever is available. How will that work? Do I have to keep closing Outlook, running MW, and then reopening Outlook?
Running Office 365 on Windows 10 on a Surface Book 1
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: A few newbie questions

Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:08 am

What most people tend to do is have the email program not set to download emails automatically, and trigger a manual send/receive when they want to bring the good emails in.

In Outlook click on the Send/Receive heading >> click Send/Receive Groups >> select Define Send/Receive Groups >> uncheck the automatic send/receive every xx minutes >> OK.
That should stop the POP emails being brought in, unless you trigger a Send/Receive.
Cynthia Moore
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Thanks. This is a good idea. I love the ability to send spam back with an "address unknown" message.

But I's afraid this is not going to work for me. I often have active email discussions going with more than one person. I need to keep Outlook open and active so I can get and respond to messages as soon as they come in. I won't want to be manually activating MW and then Outlook over and over.

I need a tool that is "always on", checking email as it comes in. Outlook has this, but it doesn't let me reject email. They just go into a Junk folder where I have to sort out the spam from those that were misdirected.

Cheers...
Cynthia Moore
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:27 pm

Is there a way that I can set up MW to start automatically every 2-3 minutes, check the server and deal with any spam, and then activate Outlook?

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”