Thunderbird mail client not opening after mailwashing

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
davalew
Student Sheep

Thunderbird mail client not opening after mailwashing

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:07 pm

I've had MailWasher since day one and have always enabled the program to open my mail client after mailwashing but recently, although the option is selected in Wash Mail Settings, the client does not open and has be be specifically opened every time. Any suggestion to the cause and what I can do to rectify the fault?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Thunderbird mail client not opening after mailwashing

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 pm

davalew wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:07 pm
I've had MailWasher since day one and have always enabled the program to open my mail client after mailwashing but recently, although the option is selected in Wash Mail Settings, the client does not open and has be be specifically opened every time. Any suggestion to the cause and what I can do to rectify the fault?
Do you have any new emails to retrieve ? If there are no new messages MailWasher won't trigger ThunderBird automatically, so that could be why it's not opening.

As a quick test, try sending yourself an email, load it into MailWasher >> Wash Mail with the new email still there, see if ThunderBird opens.
davalew
Student Sheep

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:20 pm

The fault is that having washed away the spam, the remaining messages which are genuine should show up in the Thunderbird email client which for years has automatically opened at that point in the cycle but now no longer does. Mailwasher has always opened Thunderbird when there is washed mail and the settings say that it should but it doesn't.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:31 pm

OK great. Can you send me some logs. First be sure you've washed mail on the current day expecting ThunderBird to open, then in MailWasher go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum' >> in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent, so I can check the logs arrived all OK.

Cheers
davalew
Student Sheep

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Support log sent as requested
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:27 pm

Thanks.
The logs show MailWasher sending the command twice today to open ThunderBird after the Wash Mail is completed.

Code: Select all

07-21-2021 	10:11:03.238	MWPUI                   	Launching mail program after wash
07-21-2021 	10:11:03.238	MWPUI                   	Minimising UI
07-21-2021 	10:11:03.238	MWPUI                   	Launching mail program
07-21-2021 	10:11:03.239	MWPUI                   	launching path = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" with arguments: -mail
So it seems like that part of MailWasher is going OK.
If you hit the ThunderBird button in MailWasher, does it open the program at all ?

What you could try, is go Settings >> General >> Washing Mail >> in the drop down select any other option >> Save >> then select ThunderBird again >> Save.
davalew
Student Sheep

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:34 pm

No, the button responds but there is no resultant action.
davalew
Student Sheep

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:37 pm

Selected another option and saved it and then re-entered Thunderbird and saved that but there is no difference.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:41 pm

OK sure thing.

If you have a desktop shortcut to open ThunderBird go Settings >> General >> Washing Mail >> select Use Other Application >> then click the Browse button and navigate to your desktop (should have a shortcut on the left) and then select the ThunderBird option that appears >> click Open >> Save.

If you don't have a desktop shortcut go Settings >> General >> Washing Mail >> select Use Other Application >> then click the Browse button and navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\" and there should be a thunderbird.exe that appears >> select that and click Open >> Save.

Try either of those, let me know how it goes.

Cheers
davalew
Student Sheep

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:05 pm

That solved it! Thanks for the work-around. I'm not sure what changed on the original settings but linking direct to the program exe file seems to work perfectly. Thanks

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”