Failed to connect to server

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
hans peter
Travelling Tuatara

Failed to connect to server

Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:47 pm

How / where shall I troubleshoot when all the information in the image is correct? The Gmail account is also set to POP.
/hans peter

<Removed attached file to protect password : rusticdog>
MW Pro 7.12.188
Win11
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Failed to connect to server

Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:46 pm

Those settings looked good.

If you switch it to IMAP, does the logon then work ?
hans peter
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:33 am

Thanks for answer!
Yes, it does. That I wanted to use POP was to test the following.
Once I have read an email on my cellphone and deleted it on it, it also disappears from my Gmail account. Mailwasher never gets it and so I do not get it to my email client Thunderbird for reading later either. I had imagined that they were allowed to stay with POP. But that is certainly completely wrong. Or?
K.r.
/hans peter
MW Pro 7.12.188
Win11
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:57 am

OK great. Given the IMAP works, then I suspect you need to logon to the GMail account here https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop and check the option to 'Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on' >> then hit Save Changes down the bottom of the page.

If you enable it for all mail, then MailWasher would try and load all GMail messages, which could be thousands. GMail also has a limit only allowing 200 emails to be retrieved at a time when using POP

What you could also do, is setup the phone to use POP and leave ThunderBird and MailWasher as IMAP. Deleting the copy via POP should keep the IMAP copy.

Another option when using POP with GMail is called Recent Mode. In MailWasher or whatever program, if you change the username to include the recent prefix e.g.
recent:youremailaddress@gmail.com
Then it should load emails from the last 30 days.
hans peter
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:43 pm

rusticdog wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:57 am
What you could also do, is setup the phone to use POP and leave ThunderBird and MailWasher as IMAP. Deleting the copy via POP should keep the IMAP copy.
Sorry, it does not work because Gmail is set as imap (?).
Warning
Failed to connect to email server to verify account information. No response from the server.

/hans peter
MW Pro 7.12.188
Win11
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:55 pm

Does MailWasher at least work now accessing the account via POP, or is that also giving errors still ?
hans peter
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:34 am

I finally managed to make it work with pop.
However, I went back to imap. I could then state that if I read a recent email on my mobile, MW did not react to it. And that was simply because when I read it, it was marked in Gmail as read and MW apparently had nothing to download. However, it was in Thunderbird!
Is there any trick I missed?
/hans peter
MW Pro 7.12.188
Win11
ChloeBlake
It begins with a single step

Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:33 pm

Something I did not understand how to solve the problem, but now I will sit and look carefully :D
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:40 am

hans peter wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:34 am
I finally managed to make it work with pop.
However, I went back to imap. I could then state that if I read a recent email on my mobile, MW did not react to it. And that was simply because when I read it, it was marked in Gmail as read and MW apparently had nothing to download. However, it was in Thunderbird!
Is there any trick I missed?
/hans peter
In MailWasher under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced >> check the option to Download Read Email >> Save.
That will load the read messages.

Cheers
hans peter
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:56 pm

Thanks! That is OK. But now it remains in MW after mailwashing (when Thunderbird has opened). :(
/hans peter
MW Pro 7.12.188
Win11
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:47 pm

hans peter wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:56 pm
Thanks! That is OK. But now it remains in MW after mailwashing (when Thunderbird has opened). :(
/hans peter
Yeah, forgot that would be a side effect. If you moved the message out of your ThunderBird inbox to a subfolder, that would move it from MailWashers view.

What phone email program do you use ?
There is probably a way in the phone to stop it from marking emails as Read when you read them in the phone. That way you could still see them in MailWasher as Unread, and be able to switch the option back off in MailWasher to download read messages.
hans peter
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:41 pm

Samsung's own, I think. I have not before and not now found any place to stop it from marking emails as Read . Therefore, I have installed Gmail on my mobile, but can not find any place there either.
/hans peter
MW Pro 7.12.188
Win11
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:58 pm

What you could do, is in the GMail app, setup to add an account, choose Other, then click Manual Setup when entering the email address, you can then set it to be POP rather than IMAP.

Sadly I don't have the Samsung Mail app to check the settings out, but I'm not finding much online either.
hans peter
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:01 am

Hi again!

I tried to follow your suggestion on my cellphone but failed because my email address was not accepted again. Nor it was possible to change the server address to POP (or at least I did not succeed with that either). So it had to be like it was on the cell phone, i.e. IMAP.
Instead, I went back to the Gmail account on my computer and changed to POP there. So also on MW and TB. And to my surprise, it now works as I had intended, ie. when I have read the email on my mobile, it remains in Mailwasher on my PC and only disappears when I pick it up in Thunderbird.
What I'm thinking about now is how my Gmail account can accept IMAP from my mobile even though it's set to POP. But maybe I should end with that. :D
Thank you for your assistance!
/ hans peter
MW Pro 7.12.188
Win11
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:04 pm

GMail accounts allow both POP and IMAP access, so it doesn't matter what you use on the computer vs the phone.

If things are working as desired, I'd be inclined not to worry. GMail keeps all your emails anyway, even the deleted ones, so you won't ever lose messages.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”