Main window is not clearing emails

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
creativemagicman
Rattled Rabbit

Main window is not clearing emails

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:31 am

I ( like many other users on these forums ) are having trouble with MailWasher clearing the main window once you click on the 'Wash Mail' button. Automatically, that is. Not by pressing 'C' to clear the window.

Yes, I know all about the differences between pop and IMAP and the fact that MailWasher does not alter the emails from the server etc. etc. But . . . here is my problem with MailWasher.

Under the incoming tab for each specific email account there is a box to tick for 'Stored cached emails'. If you hover your mouse over this tick box to get the low-down on what this does ( or suppose to do ! ) is states that ' . . .quicker searching and reloading of messages that MailWasher has already seen.' and '. . .awesome on POP accounts too if you tend to download the same messages over and over' . So my understanding ( correct me if I am wrong ) is that MailWasher keeps track of which emails it has downloaded ( or the header at least ) and should ( !! ) be able to not show these same emails again in the main window.

If this is how this tick box is supposed to work, then why do I keep on seeing the same emails ( irrespective of how I set my system up to leave them on the server or not ) that MailWasher has already kept track of?

Thanks.

And . . . . . a big mega thanks to whoever can solve this conundrum!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Main window is not clearing emails

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:08 pm

Hi there

No the Store Cached Email option is just an internal caching mechanism. It won't keep messages in the Inbox. I would keep that option off personally, these days it offers almost nothing in terms of performance.

So it comes back to whether you are using POP or IMAP in your email client, if you can let me know which and what email client you use.

Cheers
creativemagicman
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:01 pm

Thanks for the promp reply Rusticdog.
these days it offers almost nothing in terms of performance
. . . That makes it a bit missleading for users then as they ( Firetrust )' says 'It is pretty awsome on pop accounts too', well, i guess each persons definition of awsome is different then !

I still think firetrust can improve Mailwasher is clearing the window once the user has clicked on the Wash Mail button. I am sure older versions done this anyway.

Thanks again for your feedback Rusticdog
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:10 pm

Yeah I wrote that 11 years ago, just not been updated :)

Once you click Wash Mail and MailWasher does the deletes, it's designed not to check again until the next timed check. So if messages are removed off the server by the email client, then it won't update those until that next check. Assuming that is the issue, that MailWasher is not updating quickly enough, you could look at decreasing the time between automatic checks (Settings >> General >> Checking Mail) and have it update itself quicker.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”