Bouncing mail from Yahoo account to another Yahoo Account

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
tjerin
Student Sheep

Bouncing mail from Yahoo account to another Yahoo Account

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:50 am

I have been bouncing some spam poliitcal emails recently and was hoping to see them stop but they just continue to arrive. (THEY IGNORE MY UNSUBSCRIBE ATTEMPTS AND EVEN MY PHONE CALLS)

It made me wonder if the bounce was actually doing anything, so I sent a test email from my Yahoo account A to my Yahoo account B. I bounced the mail from the B account and nothing ever appeared back in the A account.

Is Yahoo blocking the bounce or is my MWP bounce feature not working?

Thanks, Tom
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Bouncing mail from Yahoo account to another Yahoo Account

Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi Tom

It's quite possible Yahoo are blocking the bounces. If you bounce a message, then send me some logs I will take a look.
To send logs go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum' in the Ticket Number field enter 'chris' >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent, so I can check the logs arrived all OK.

Cheers
tjerin
Student Sheep

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:04 pm

Support logs sent. Interestingly when I tried to send the logs via Yahoo I got an error. Sent via gmail showed success! Thanks, Tom
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:49 pm

First, for the collectibles Yahoo account, go into Settings >> Accounts >> Outgoing >> set the port to 465, Security Type to SSL >> Save.

Then, for your other main Yahoo, logon here https://login.yahoo.com/myaccount/security/ and select to generate an App Password >> with this new gibberish password, enter that into MailWasher under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> and also under Advanced uncheck the option to Use OAUTH >> Save. That should still check the account fine.

That said, while it will fix the errors I can see in the log. I don't believe it will work for you as it does seem Yahoo is filtering these bounces. I've tried several addresses on my test Yahoo account and none of them have received anything.

What I would look at next, is if you visit the Yahoo mail page https://mail.yahoo.com/ for the account, you can check the messages and hit the SPAM button, there is the option to Unsubscribe, which I think might stop them from arriving in future, but also the Report Spam option.
I don't know about Yahoo specifically, but other email providers have been known to start blocking all emails from these services if enough people report them as spam. I know this, as we sometimes get blocked as people report our newsletters as spam rather than unsubscribe :)

It's worth a shot given just how much of these you do seem to be receiving.

Other options, you could blacklist these addresses and then set your Blacklist to auto-delete (Settings >> Spam Tools >> Blacklist >> Options). They will then delete when MailWasher checks for messages, so they won't appear on your screen at all.

If you don't want to auto-delete all blacklisted addresses, then a Custom Filter that looks at the FROM FIELD, CONTAINS, PLAIN TEXT, emailaddress....
When you have several addresses you want removed, set the filter to match ANY rule not ALL, and do one email address per rule within the filter.
Once the filter is working and tagging the emails you expect it to, under the Options tab for that specific filter, you can also set to auto-delete.

Hope this helps in some way, is not ideal.

Cheers
tjerin
Student Sheep

Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:22 am

Thanks for the tips for cleaning up the accounts. I made sure they're now using generated app passwords.

I did have these set up to auto-delete using MWP and I was pretty happy with the way MWP handled them... it just continued to irk me that these people kept ignoring my attempts to unsubscribe! So next I wlll try your suggestion of using the Yahoo "SPAM" button and see what effect that has if any.

Thanks again for the help!
Tom
tjerin
Student Sheep

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:48 am

Well I can't explain exactly why but ALL that political spam stopped. I have gotten ZERO for 3 days down from 20-30 every day for a long time! I had been trying to bounce them for about a week but they kept coming and after you looked at the logs Yahoo was probably blocking the bounces anyway.

Per your suggestion I used the Yahoo "SPAM" buttom on a couple of them but certainly not on all the domains. These people were sending from

thegopemail.com
biden4never.com
thedaillygrindnews,com
libertynewsflash.org
libertynewsroom.org
and
libertydaily.org

The only possible explanation I can think of (assuming the bounces were being blocked by Yahoo) is that once a couple of these got reported as SPAM that Yahoo stepped in and started blocking all their domains or that the organization itself finally took be off their lists since I reported some to Yahoo, Any thoughts?

At any rate I really appreciate all your help and excellent support!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:33 am

I'm going to guess you weren't alone in reporting these emails and Yahoo stopped them arriving due to other complaints. It may be too that the email provider sending the messages also stopped them due to complaints.

In either case, great to hear about the reduction :)

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”