mwp not installing

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
mipak
Student Sheep

mwp not installing

Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:16 am

@rusticdog ...

hi .. hope yr. keeping well.

my computer's been down from about since around mid-august ... bit of a storm and the house took a lightening hit which did some damage to the computer and a few other things but it affected a number of files as well etc. etc. which i've only just managed to get some of the damage sorted out.

most have been re-installed and are running okay but i've not been able to re-install mailwasher pro free ... not properly anyway. 7.12.54 & 55 are dead ... 56 installed yesterday but when i came to activate the programme, there was no response. this morning, i repeated the installation but all i got back was 'programme not working'.

can you help please? i seem to recall that the last time i came on the forum, it was sometime around march/april but i don't have any record of our emails to & from anymore ... lost quite a number!

hope to hear from you in due course please when you have a spare moment.

take care ...
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: mwp not installing

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:17 pm

Hi there

Doing well, heading into late spring here so nice weather

Just to clarify, you are using MailWasher Free, but not sure what you mean by activating, or do you mean MailWasher Pro ?

And the program doesn't open at all, crashing on startup ?

First thing I would try is a .NET Repair, takes around 10 minutes https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/downloa ... x?id=30135

Cheers
mipak
Student Sheep

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:30 am

from someone unknown ...

"Just to clarify, you are using MailWasher Free, but not sure what you mean by activating, or do you mean MailWasher Pro ?
And the program doesn't open at all, crashing on startup ?"

in my starter post, i thought i'd make is quite clear ... i manged to recover v7.12.54, 7.12.55 and 7.12.56. i reinstalled 7.12.54 and 7.12.55 but neither of them worked. then i attempted v7.12.56 which installed but proved to be inaccessible ... in other words ... i was unable to activate it. the only response i received was that the 'programme was not working'. and yes, i'm running mwp free ... or trying to ...

to answer your final question, the programme didn't get as far as opening therefore nothing existed to crash.

thank you for your suggestion which i shall look into tomorrow morning and post the result in my next post.

thank you.
mipak
Student Sheep

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:38 am

have just been informed that the link you suggested to try, returned the following answer ...

We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
The URL may be misspelled or the page you're looking for is no longer available.

thank you.
mipak
Student Sheep

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:22 pm

hi ...
the link you suggested still throws up 'page not available' but then i tried to see if tapping in '.net repair' made any difference. this brought up the ms repair pageand on it, was the download programme so i d'l it and it started to run but brought up a number of files. not really sure if i understand what to do but have copied them as follows:
C:\WINDOWS\windowsupdate.log

C:\WINDOWS\logs\cbs\cbs.log

C:\Users\gm2fz\AppData\Local\Temp\FixDotNet.log

C:\Users\gm2fz\AppData\Local\Temp\NetFxSetupEvents.txt

C:\Users\gm2fz\AppData\Local\Temp\dd_NetFxRepairTool_decompression_log.txt

C:\Users\gm2fz\AppData\Local\Temp\FixDotNet_HKCR_Installer.regdump

C:\Users\gm2fz\AppData\Local\Temp\FixDotNet_HKLM_Installer.regdump

does this help?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:27 am

No that's fine, as long as the repair utility ran.

Try then going manually into the folder C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher.
Is there an error.log file and an installer.log file, could you send me those files to forum@firetrust.com

Also in MailWasher Free, under Help >> About >> what version is showing as running ?

Cheers
mipak
Student Sheep

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:28 am

@rusticdog ...

hope you're keeping well.

apologies ... bit of a catastrophy around august/september ... big storms here and my pc ... everything ... got hit by a lightening strike so i haven't been able to access any pc till a few days ago. now up and running again.

went on to your website and downloaded v7.12.57 ... at the end of the installation, a small logo-like symbol appeared showing mostly in blue with the words
"firefox
MailWasher Free
Starting MailWasher ..."

has a look around some of the posts here, some of which 'task manager' and another containing a word similar to 'discm' which is able to repair faulty w10 files ... the second one confused me andf looking quite involved so i didn't take it any further but 'task manager' didn't contain any ref. to mailwasher so that was a bit of a dead end. i was hoping that mwp was there with the word 'disabled' in an adjacent column ...

have you any ideas please?

regards ...
michael.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:45 am

OK, so you see the splash screen appear, but then MailWasher Free won't load and is seemingly crashing.

Try first going into C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher\
I've attached a file called startup.xml if you can download this file and replace it with the one in the folder above.
Attachments
Startup.xml
(3.55 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
mipak
Student Sheep

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:07 am

hi again ...
thank you for your suggestion which proved to be correct ...
the installation hadn't completed.

first i ran a search for startup.xml but my search engine found nothing also there were no folders after /appdata/roaming/ ....... so i deleted mwp completely, rebooted and ran another search ... still nothing.
so, after appdata/, i followed through to every /firetrust/mailwasher/ folder i could find (there were a few dotted around) but there were no startup.xml files i could see ... nothing was altered. then i ran another search, got the same answer again.

warm booted and re-installed mwp but the start wasn't quite the same ... the only change i made at this stage was to also delete all personal settings (not that i'd entered anyway!) relating to mwp ... previously, i'd left them in ... and suddenly, mwp was on-screen. i have no idea how it managed to re-install properly because i didn't find it a home in which to t/f it.

finally, in file explorer, i went to the mwp address you'd told me in your email ... quite a number of files there including startup.xml.

so really, job done with all thanks to you. very, very much appreciated indeed.

take care and stay safe ......
michael.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”