sender address of deleted emails?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Helvetica
Travelling Tuatara

sender address of deleted emails?

Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:54 am

Hi everyone.
I am using Mailwasher Pro 7.12.54.

This evening I marked an email to delete, thinking it was spam, then used the Wash Mail button and "Empty Bin".
It wasn't until after I had done that, that I realised the email and sender was probably ligitimate.
There used to be a time way back in the first years of Mailwasher that you could, in one of the log files, find the email address of a person whose email you had deleted, even though you had emptied the "bin".
I checked all the MWPAPP---.log files in my Mailwashed logs folder but cannot see any email addresses apart from my own in any of them.
Where else can I check to see if I can find the email address ?

best wishes to the Firetrust staff !
Helvetica
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: sender address of deleted emails?

Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:58 pm

Hi there

In the Recycle Bin, try clicking Show All Email Logged >> though I think the bin purge does wipe that.

We don't log email addresses of deleted emails anymore. If I recall correctly, a very long time ago some viruses used to scan machines for txt/log files for email addresses and use those found to redistribute, as as result we removed that information.

You will find the Subject of the message in the main MWPapi.log file, alternatively if it is a GMail account, they keep all messages (including deleted) in the ALL MAIL archive folder https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#all

Cheers
Helvetica
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:52 am

I found it !
I used my brilliant NoteTabPro to open (as read only!!)
Users/[myname]/AppData/Roaming/Firetrust/Mailwasher/Cache/MWP.db3
and searched for 12 Oct, then had a look round. A lot of it was illegible of course, and it is very mixed up, but I found the email address which I partly remembered from yesterday.

There are dates in there going back to 2017 and the file is over 2.7 Mb. Is there a way to clear it out ?
Also (I like to rummage around files on my PC), which system is used to encrypt the .001, .002 etc. files in the /crypto folder ?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:15 am

OK, doing the deep dive :) I didn't think it would be in there, however if the email was added to the training corpus, then it would make sense.

The data going back 2017 is likely from the learning as well, but you can also check under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> uncheck Store Cached Emails if checked >> Save. That will do more cleanup.

For the .00x files, I don't recall what we did use, was 10 years ago now and the programmer who did that isn't about. I had a dig through the old emails, but couldn't see any where it was mentioned.
They are just text information for certain emails added for quicker access (things like header information), the reason it was encrypted was some antivirus programs could trigger on their heuristics.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”