Losing emails

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
eregnans
Mystified Moa

Losing emails

Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:54 pm

Win 10, MWP 7.12.54, Thunderbird 91.2.0
Over recent weeks been losing a few emails. Occasionally emails marked for Delete in MWP Inbox are not deleted and appear in Thunderbird when that subsequently downloads the 'good' emails. This coincides with emails not marked for Delete (ie I want them) not appearing in Thunderbird - suspect they have been deleted at ISP.
Look in MWP Recycle Bin - not there. But if check the [ ] Show all email logged the missing emails are listed as logged emails - only up to first 200 lines and no attachments (have to admit I don't fully understand the logged function) and so Restore (understandably) does not reverse the situation.
It seems that pointers to emails for deletion get out of whack. Cannot say tho if the 'lost' email is the immediate previous or immediate next email to the one that was supposed to be deleted, ie pointer is out by one (hope that makes sense) , or if is more random - because once the problem has happened cannot repeat it to see just what has happened.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Losing emails

Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi there

Is this an IMAP or POP account ? You can check in MailWasher under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming.
Also in that same area, is Store Cached Email checked ?
eregnans
Mystified Moa

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:52 am

Hi,
Thanks for responding . . .
This an IMAP account
- the ISP is iinet
- mail address is mail.iinet.net.au
- Store cached emails is NOT checked (just noticed help point recommending this be checked for IMAP !)

The problem occurred again tonite - lost 4 or 5 emails out of 30 odd incoming new emails (data not accurate because in a hurry and forgot to pay close attention until too late - normally does not happen on successive days !!)

If it helps you can email me where I can post some before and after screen shots of MWP Inbox and Recycle bin, Thunderbird inbox, etc when next it happens.

Another matter - after washing mail and launching Thunderbird, it has always taken 10s of seconds to open emails (I don't use preview pane), moreso if have just closed an opened email. I realize this more likely a Thunderbird issue, but mention it just in case related to above. MWP is always still running when Thunderbird open and emails being processed.

Thanks.
eregnans
Mystified Moa

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:49 am

More oddities
- Restore of deleted emails from Recycle bin does not work for either correctly deleted, incorrectly deleted or logged emails
- I noticed one logged email had the subject line for the next email in its Email Header block !
- in the course of trying to restore a couple of wanted emails, I lost a couple more emails from MWP inbox
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:40 am

OK, I would remove the account from MailWasher, under Settings >> Accounts >> then restart the program >> Add the account back in.

You can also email forum@firetrust.com the screenshots to get them to me.

Do you have an antivirus program that has an email scanner component ?
eregnans
Mystified Moa

Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 pm

Deleted all accounts, restarted MWP, created new account.
MWP obviously searched my ISP, because it offered a different email server which I accepted.
Checked [ ] Store Cached Email

Been running three days now without a lost email or wash/deletion error.

Would be interested to know how the contents of logged emails changed ?

Thanks your help.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:23 am

OK good to know, it sounds like MW got out of synch with the internal cache. As you noted you didn't have this enabled, so that's something we need to look into.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”