Mailwasher stopped working

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Nanuq
Mystified Moa

Mailwasher stopped working

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:04 am

Same here. It worked fine for weeks and months and now it checks accounts and identifies spam, but will not automatically Wash.

If I let it run automatically it finds the same spam as if I manually Check Mail.

When I click Wash Mail a momentary message blinks in the bottom status bar, and it does nothing.

Pro version 7.12.46 installed. I'm logged in with my lifetime activation code.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, no change.

I checked for updates and allowed it to download and install 7.12.54 on my machine. No change.

I'm out of ideas.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Mailwasher stopped working

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:28 am

Hi there

I've split this topic from the post you replied to, as that was quite old.
For the issue, when you saw it won't automatically Wash, do you mean you are expecting MailWasher to be deleting messages automatically it has identified as spam ?
Or you mean when you press Wash Mail, nothing seems to happen in MailWasher ?

If you can let me know the above, and also send some logs. To do that go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum' >> in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> then reply back with the above info so I can check the logs arrived all OK

Cheers
Nanuq
Mystified Moa

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:09 am

Thanks Chris. This morning when I wrote this, it would automatically check messages on its schedule, but not Wash. So I'd manually open the program, mark some more for delete and click Wash, and nothing happened. A little message blinked at the bottom status bar.

Now, I tried it again and I have spam in the retrieved results. I clicked Wash and it removed them. Partial success.

But it still runs on its job schedule, retrieves messages, marks them as spam, and does nothing further. No Wash.
Nanuq
Mystified Moa

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:13 am

OK, logs sent. Thanks
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:32 am

Many thanks.
Can you try Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced >> uncheck the option to Move Deleted Messages Into Folder' >> Save >> restart MailWasher.
Do the deletes then function as expected ?
Nanuq
Mystified Moa

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:02 pm

I did that. Restarted MW.
It checked my email account,
said "Evaluating messages",
marked 2 as spam with a checkmark,
did not run the "Wash" cycle.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:48 pm

OK, in the sidebar on the right of MailWasher (click View >> Sidebar if it's not showing) then under the evaluation tab >> what score are these emails showing that do not delete ?
If you click on each message, it will show the score for each of these emails.
Nanuq
Mystified Moa

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:35 pm

They evaluate from -52 to -55 to -67.

I just tried rebooting the box and when it came up I started MW. It retrieved them, marked them as spam, and did not run the Wash routine. I ran it manually and it deleted them.
Nanuq
Mystified Moa

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:09 am

So, what's next? A spam killer tool that doesn't automatically delete the spam isn't all that useful.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:55 am

Great, thanks for letting us know.
What's happening is that your auto-delete setting is set to -67, you can see that under Settings >> Spam Tools >> Spam Ratings.

Those emails you mention above are scoring under that, so not being automatically deleted, MailWasher thinks they are spam, but just a bit spammy so it's not removing them to give you a chance to make sure.

EMails come in and get scored through from -150 (very spammy) through to +150 (very good), with 0 being the neutral point.

Some options are :
Under Settings >> General >> Checking Mail >> set the Spam Throttle to 500 lines if not already, this gives MailWasher more data to work with, and can mean it makes more authoritative decisions on how good/spammy the emails are.

Be sure you train messages using the Classify column, if MailWasher makes a mistake, or an email comes in neutral, training those emails helps a lot.

Reduce your auto-delete setting, if you dropped it to -50, those emails would have been removed automatically. Just making the auto-delete a bit more aggressive.

Cheers
Nanuq
Mystified Moa

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:53 am

Ahhhhhh, I can't believe that's all it was, and I was too dense to check that.

Thanks for your help, working like a champ now!

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”