New laptop, old filters.xml woes

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
epack
Active Albatross

New laptop, old filters.xml woes

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:38 am

Long long story short, my "teenaged" 13 yo laptop died, and I now have a new one, and have to reconstruct my MWP. I had just enough time and had copied off my accounts and filters when I first realized it was sliding into Old Machine H*ll so luckily I have those, but now the trick is to get them into the new instance. The accounts went in just fine thankfully via simple copy/paste. The trick is the *^*) filters :(

I *thought* all I had to do was replace the filters.xml file, as I did for many other apps, but apparently that's not the case here, or else I'm doing something wrong, most likely the latter. I tried a simple copy over the "new" filters.xml, while mwp was closed, of course, but they do NOT show up in the interface. The file still shows as being about 1.5 MB but in the interface, I don't see them at all even tho it's named "filters.xml" and the size is right, etc. Um, hopefully it's in the right place too :) It shows in C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Firetrust\MailWasher

So I then, duh, remembered about the import, but as that apparently requires a mwp file I can't get since the old machine is dead, this is where I stand. It works great if I add a manual filter, but I have a LOT of them and would prefer not to have to redo them manually if it's humanly possible. Windows 10 Pro machine, latest and greatest everything.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Elaine
Huntersville NC
Current MWP version 7.12.57
Windows 10 Pro
----
Elaine Pack
Huntersville, NC
MWP 7.12.67 on Windows 10 Pro machines
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: New laptop, old filters.xml woes

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:37 pm

Can you send me the file to forum@firetrust.com and I'll take a look.
I should be able to make a MWP backup file that just includes the filters as well and send that back if need be.
epack
Active Albatross

Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:52 am

I got it to work. Turns out I had another email app that happened to use "filters.xml" as well, and to compound that, there were a bunch of "suspenders and belts" copies of both files, with fake names, of course, like filtersgood.xml or whatever. The trick was that I apparently grabbed the wrong filters.xml file, duh. Luckily even tho the file names were essentially the same, and the basic structure was similar, I was able to get the right one into the right folder and I see them all now. Didn't need to import them, just copied the file into the correct location. Lesson learned: when saving off the filters file (or any other files with names that are the same or similar), include the dang app name in the name :)

Thanks tho!!

elaine
----
Elaine Pack
Huntersville, NC
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:59 am

Fantastic !
epack
Active Albatross

Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:34 am

You are too kind to ask, but yes, I am very very embarrassed :) :) But at least it works now, so I'll get over it :)

I do have another issue, unrelated to all this, but I'll post it separately.

Cheers!

elaine
----
Elaine Pack
Huntersville, NC

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”