Mailwasher and FirstAlert

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
larryjb
Student Sheep

Mailwasher and FirstAlert

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:34 am

So far Mailwasher seems to be working well, but I am curious about something. I have FirstAlert enabled, but hide emails and autodelete unchecked. I also have autodelete unchecked under Spam Ratings, and General>Checking email set to every 10 minutes.

Before I was getting 3-6 spam e-mails every day. Not bad, but I didn't want my wife to accidently click on a spam because some of them are really sneaky. But, curiously, I haven't had a single spam in the Inbox or the Recycle bin. I have no new spam on the Yahoo email server. I would have expected to see some spam today, at least in the Recycle bin of MW.

I thought that MW FirstAlert would keep any spam in the recycle bin at least. Is it autodeleting in the background because that type of spam is confirmed through FirstAlert? Or am I just lucky to not get any spam today?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Mailwasher and FirstAlert

Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:19 pm

If it's set to hide, but not auto-delete then the emails will remain until you Wash Mail. Then deleted emails moved into the Recycle Bin.

When an email is hidden in MailWasher, you'll see a toggle, bottom right of a faded envelope with the number of hidden messages, you can click that to show the emails.

From what I recall, spam numbers do reduce over weekends as well, so maybe just a lazy sunday for everyone :)
larryjb
Student Sheep

Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:28 pm

There must be something more to FirstAlert then. Still, only one spam, but it was caught by the Yahoo spam filter and is sitting in the server spam folder. Normally I would have had 3-5 spam e-mails by now.

So, does FirstAlert automatically and permanently delete spam if it is confirmed spam? Again, nothing even in the recycle bin.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:31 pm

No, FirstAlert will only delete automatically if you set it to, but a copy will be kept in the bin as well. Nothing in the bin would indeed imply a drop in the mails you're receiving.
larryjb
Student Sheep

Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:43 pm

Interesting... I deleted my e-mail accounts from MW to see if I really was not getting spam. One spam Thursday, 2 on Friday, none Saturday. And those spam e-mails were caught by Yahoo's spam. Did MW scare the spam away? I did unsubscribe from one newsletter that I figured could be questionable, but I wouldn't have expected that to have such a quick effect on spam.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”