Obvious spam marked as "good"

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
larryjb
Student Sheep

Obvious spam marked as "good"

Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:57 am

I just had an obvious spam e-mail come in marked as "good". The subject had lots of dashes in the middle of words. Any idea why this happened?
larryjb
Student Sheep

Re: Obvious spam marked as "good"

Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:28 am

I just had a second obvious spam e-mail marked as "good".
The From: B e s - t B u - y ( n o r e p l y AT q u a l i t y h o m e b u y e r s l l c . c o m )

(spaces added by me, @ replaced with AT)

Subject: ReminderAboutYourDysonVacuumReward

This e-mail is not in my contact list. How can I go about finding out how this ended up getting marked "good"? The whole reason I bought a license for MWPro was so that I wouldn't have to deal with this spam.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:57 pm

MailWasher does need to learn the good from the bad, so just keep correcting MailWasher when it gets something wrong using the Thumbs Down/Up.

New variations of spam, or kinds you don't see often will take a little bit of time to train, but it shouldn't take long.

Also under Settings >> General >> Checking Mail >> there's a Spam Throttle on how many lines per email to download. I would set this to around 500 lines, as that gives MailWasher plenty of information to work with.
larryjb
Student Sheep

Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:16 pm

Ok, thanks rusticdog. Lines are set to the max (500).

When I looked at the analysis, there was no "Origin of Spam" or "FirstAlert" information, only the Learning. Because there was nothing "bad" that Learning could see, the spam rating remained at +150.

I've been getting a lot of spam like this, where subjects have words broken up with spaces (that hides it away from the minimum word length of 4), and bad words are disguised with other characters. We're only getting this spam on one Yahoo account, and I'm trying to figure out what subscription leaked the e-mail address. It's moot now, but I'll keep up with the training.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”