How long to learn?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
larryjb
Student Sheep

How long to learn?

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:53 pm

I receive a ton of spam whose "From" includes a lot of unusual characters such as "C0пgratulati0ns", followed by a normal looking e-mail address in brackets. Other spam has "From" with normal words broken by dashes like "--Ho-me De-pot--". I have been marking all such e-mails as spam, and Yahoo even marks half of them as spam automatically, as well. Then I make sure I "wash mail". I have been doing this for about 2 weeks now and I still get e-mail like this rated as "Good" by MW. I even took some of the spam from Yahoo's spam folder, put it back to the Yahoo Inbox so I could let MW learn from it as well. Am I just being impatient?

Also, some gift card notifications from Tim Hortons got marked as spam by FirstAlert. I'm curious why FirstAlert would have marked an authentic e-mail as spam.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: How long to learn?

Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:53 am

People can report spam to FirstAlert, sometimes rather than unsubscribe from legitimate newsletters they'll report instead. Not ideal.
If you can email support@firetrust.com with the details, even forwarding a message to us and let us know that it is being tagged by FA and should be removed.

For the learning, I would have expected MailWasher to be doing better by now. Under Settings >> General >> Checking Mail >> if you haven't already, set the Spam Throttle to around 500 lines. Let me know if it's already at that setting.
larryjb
Student Sheep

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:54 pm

Yes I can confirm the spam throttle is set to 500 lines.

It's been a good few days though. Not a single spam,. Before Christmas I was getting 5 a day.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:13 pm

Roughly how many good emails would you say you get a day then, versus the number of spams ?
larryjb
Student Sheep

Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:31 pm

It seems to vary. Back in December I was getting about 3-5 spam making it through Yahoo's filter, and another 2 caught by Yahoo's filter. We'd get about the same number of genuine e-mails.

It seems that as soon as I installed Mailwasher, Some days I get a couple of spam e-mails, some days none. It's almost as if the spammers can sense that I'm running Mailwasher!

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”