MailWasher continues to show read/deleted messages

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
BobSt
Rattled Rabbit

MailWasher continues to show read/deleted messages

Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:53 am

This is an issue I've had for quite a while – many months. I assumed that maybe it was a bug in a MailWasher update, and that it would go away after another update or two, but it's persisted for so long that it seems that I'd better ask about it.

I have MailWasher Pro 7.12.54. I've used MM for years, longer than I can remember. It used to be the case that after I read and or deleted various email messages, the next time MM checked my mail, it listed only unread, undeleted messages. But now, it continues to list every single message that it's ever detected since the last time I exited and re-launched MM. It doesn't matter whether I've already read the messages or even deleted them; they stay listed until I exit MM.

This is a pretty inconvenient development, since it means that anytime I want to get an accurate, easy-to-read, picture of what new messages I have, I have to exit MM and relaunch it.

Is this a new feature? A persistent glitch? Is there some setting that I'm not aware of? Am I just nuts in thinking that MM never used to work this way?

Thanks for any and all help.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: MailWasher continues to show read/deleted messages

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:49 pm

What method do you use to retrieve/view your emails after MailWasher ? Are you using a certain email program etc...

It sounds like whatever you are using, is keeping messages on the server after download, this means MailWasher will keep displaying them too.

You can try setting MailWasher to use IMAP instead, this gives more flexibility on what messages are retrieved.
Under Settings >> Accounts >> set the account to IMAP if not already >> then under Advanced you can tell MailWasher how many days of emails to load, and also if you want MailWasher to download Read emails.

Cheers
BobSt
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:20 am

I use Firefox to access my Yahoo account. I'm not a complete computer ignoramus, but I've never understood IMAP vs. whatever else in any meaningful way. However, the server address for incoming messages (which I set up by following instructions by rote) is imap.mail.yahoo.com. Based on that I conclude that I'm in fact using IMAP already. Under advanced, the box for "Download read e-mails" is not checked, and I'd always assumed that that was enough for MW to show only *currently* unread messages.

I'm absolutely certain that the way MW worked for me in the past was this: when it first launched, it would show unread messages, and only unread messages. I'd then go to Yahoo and read everything, deleting what I didn't want, and saving those that I did. In some, but not all, cases I'd transfer read messages to various folders. After that, if I'd left MW running, the next time it checked for messages, it would clear out the earlier list of messages (because they were no longer unread) and start over, by showing only messages that were currently unread. From what you're saying, I'm guessing that that's not how it's designed to work: once it lists a message, it's supposed to list that message forever, unread or not, until such time that MW is closed and then re-launched, at which time it lists only currently unread messages. But until a year or 2 ago, that wasn't my experience.

What I now have to do every time I use MW is read my messages, then shut down MW until the next time that I want to check for new messages. I find this to be a very odd, inconvenient and pointless way of doing things. But if that's how it's suppose to work, that's what I'm stuck with.

Thanks for the explanation.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:48 pm

OK, no what you describe as what you expect and how MW was working is just how it should be working now.

If in MailWasher, instead hit C then Y on the keyboard, this will clear the messages (not delete) then Check Mail again, do the messages load as you want, or do you still see these older read emails.

MailWasher should be updating itself each time it checks for messages, so even a regular Check Mail should be doing this.

Perhaps MailWasher is encountering some kind of problem and not updating the message list. So if the above does not work, then go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'as per forum Bobst' >> in the Ticket NUmber field enter chris >> Send Logs.

Reply back here once sent, so I can check they arrived all OK.

Cheers
Pedro
It begins with a single step

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:50 am

I encountered this when moving to a later version of Outlook. In that version, in the accounts setup area, there was a flag set saying 'keep messages on the server' (for x days).
I unchecked that and all is back to normal.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”