During install, "The feature you are trying to use is on CD-Rom or other..."

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Marco
Travelling Tuatara

During install, "The feature you are trying to use is on CD-Rom or other..."

Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:56 am

Hi Support and MWP Community,

today I ran across an error that I had to face probably once in the last 10 years or so, but still I would like to show and understand what might be the cause of problem:
It may be a bug that we saw way earlier here? viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10189&p=55023&hili ... 6a0#p55023

Client of mine wanted to update to the latest version of MWP using the latest download (we even tried older versions). We always ended up in the error "The feature you are trying to use is on CD-Rom or other..." asking for Disk1 and pointing to setup.msi, that we could not find in any of the temp directories on the machine. Even with a fresh install (so not updating) we faced that issue. Image below.

We ran several checks to get rid of the remains of old installations (also cleaning temp dirs) and boy I even invested like 30 minutes manually checking for remains within the registry as I was convinced that there were still remains from previous installations on the computer.

Trying to install old versions ended up with Windows telling us, that there was still a newer version in place. But I can assure you, there was none.

After more than two hours, I put the all the files manually together and placed them in Program Files\Firetrust\Mailwasher and also under User\Local\Roaming from another installation and was than able to fire up Mailwasher Pro. So now I am missing registry entries for this installation.

Any other ideas on what might cause the problem and how to fix it? The updater.ini I forgot to change the application version number ApplicationVersion=7.12.54 to something older, so maybe than we would have been able to update?!?! What are your thoughts, thanks folks.

Regards,
Marco

Ciao
Marco
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: During install, "The feature you are trying to use is on CD-Rom or other..."

Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:34 pm

Hi Marco

MailWasher will be looking in the folder C:\ProgramData\Firetrust\ for the previous installers.
There is usually the earlier installer files kept in the format
C:\ProgramData\Firetrust\MWInstall7.12.xx
Where the MSIs are held

Do you know what version was there previously ? You should be able to re-run the installer for the version that Windows thinks is present, and select to Repair the installation. After that, updating to newer versions should work fine.

The installers are labelled like
http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/mail ... _12_67.exe

So if you know what version you need, just change the last two numbers from the link above.
For example
http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/mail ... _12_53.exe
http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/mail ... _12_49.exe
etc..

Note too those links are not SSL links, so Windows may warn about downloading.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”