Who is it really from?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
wraiththe
Student Sheep

Who is it really from?

Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:49 am

HI,
Where it says domain: Why doesn't it show who the email is really from. i.e. I often hit "reply to" in order to see where the email is really coming from. If it does not match the domain, I instantly know it is not kosher.

Also, every app, when you click on the icon in the task bar, shows "Close Window" and that refers to shutting the app down. But in Mailwasher (windows) 7, Close window merely reduces it... you have to select exit. Call it OCD, but I find that not following standard conventions is annoying. I have to change my behavior for this program. Windows Purpose was to set standard conventions to make using computer easier... not memorize different controls for each program.
Are you aware that you may not be aware?
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: Who is it really from?

Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:08 am

Hmmm, I just looked at over 2000 messages I have listed in MailWasher, either in the Inbox or the Recycle Bin. And every one displayed the same domain name as shown in the From email address.

Do note it is a common practice of the bad guys to spoof addresses - so the message appears to be coming from a legitimate address. They do that just so recipients cannot reply to them. This is a fault (not really the right word, but can't think of a better one) of how email in general works. It is not a fault deficiency, or bug with MailWasher. No doubt blocking spam would be much easier if identifying and matching the true sender was that simple.
Also, every app, when you click on the icon in the task bar, shows "Close Window" and that refers to shutting the app down. But in Mailwasher (windows) 7, Close window merely reduces it... you have to select exit. Call it OCD, but I find that not following standard conventions is annoying.
Ummm, not "every" app and that's a good thing!

And actually, the standard convention is to provide the user the option to either close the app, or for it to be minimized. If you are used to clicking the Icon (or the X in the upper right of the Window) and having it shut down the program, that would be bad if you do that in your security program, and you shut down your anti-malware protection, leaving your system totally exposed to the bad guys.

So the "standard convention", at least for programs that frequently run full time, is to let the user choose what that action does, and MailWasher does just that.

In MailWasher, click on the Settings tab, then Application, then make sure "Minimize MailWasher when X clicked" is unchecked. Note if you hover your mouse cursor over that option, the Help & Information box says, "This will also minimize MailWasher when the Close command is selected from the Title or Task bar menu." Uncheck that option and MailWasher will close when you choose the Close Window option from the task bar, and it will close if you click the X in the upper right corner of the MailWasher window.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
alexis90
Mystified Moa

Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:00 am

Digerati wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:08 am
In MailWasher, click on the Settings tab, then Application, then make sure "Minimize MailWasher when X clicked" is unchecked. Note if you hover your mouse cursor over that option, the Help & Information box says, "This will also minimize MailWasher when the Close command is selected from the Title or Task bar menu." Uncheck that option and MailWasher will close when you choose the Close Window option from the task bar, and it will close if you click the X in the upper right corner of the MailWasher window.
Thanks a lot for pointing this out! I too found it pretty bothersome since all other programs react conventionally!
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:33 am

Again, not all will close. Nor should they. Our security programs definitely should not - at least not without warning the user of the risks and without prompting the user with a "are you sure?"
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
alexis90
Mystified Moa

Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:45 pm

More than fair, I'll keep that in mind.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”