MW Pro Not Recognizing McAfee/Norton Anti-Virus Spam

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
ScottS
It begins with a single step

MW Pro Not Recognizing McAfee/Norton Anti-Virus Spam

Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:06 am

MW Pro is completely missing the dozens of Norton and McAfee anti-virus spam emails coming into my inbox each day. Sometimes two of these are received at a time. Despite the strange and obvious characters in the subject line of these spam and fake emails, MW Pro continues to forward these as good to my inbox. Admittedly, some of these spam emails have spoofed legitimate domains such as toyota.com, spectrum.com, etc. but MW Pro doesn't seem to "learn" from the now hundreds of similar emails I've blacklisted or labeled as spam in the past 60 days. On some days, it's as if MW Pro isn't even installed because the inbox is full of obviously fake emails with bizarre characters and/or font and misspelled words. It should be noted that I contacted MW tech support and they suggested that the default settings are "nearly perfect" so I've left them on their defaults.

Anybody else having the same issue?
TWood68
It begins with a single step

Re: MW Pro Not Recognizing McAfee/Norton Anti-Virus Spam

Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:22 am

Yes. I get multiple McAfee and Norton spam emails daily. None are scored as spam by MW Pro. However, its not just those. Nearly all of the spam I am getting is making it past MW Pro. For example, I have received 8 spam emails today. Only one was marked as spam by MW Pro. I am 20 days into the trial, and so far I have not found MW Pro to be very effective.
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: MW Pro Not Recognizing McAfee/Norton Anti-Virus Spam

Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:17 am

My guess is that this spam contains a lot of "junk" in the headers that means that the stuff that MailWasher uses to detect spam isn't being downloaded.

I suggest that the next time you get one of the these emails, you send a copy of the headers to MailWasher support and ask them to take a look and suggest what you should do.

To do this, in MailWasher:

1. Select the spam message
2. In the email pane, click the Show Email Info link
3. Click the Source tab
4. Click in the source code, then Ctrl+A to select everything, then Ctrl+C to copy it
5. Paste this in an email and send it to MailWasher support with a bit of an explanation.

Hope that helps.
Windows 10

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”