Unusual activity detected

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
mw62
Active Albatross

Unusual activity detected

Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:18 pm

Within my Microsoft Account > Activity I noticed an 'Unsual activity'.
Normally an IP address is shown starting with 159 and my country is displayed, which is okay.
But now and then an IP address starting with 13.101.xxx.xxx is shown, being USA.
Whois IP states it belongs to "United States Redmond Microsoft Corporation"

I could not figure out what it is but Mailwasher File Exit and relaunch showed the entry was updated (1 minute ago).

So, I can only assume it was triggered by Mailwasher(?)

I checked the accounts: 2x Outlook IMAP (Exchange) and 1 Gmail (IMAP), the server addresses of the Outlook accounts are identical.

Is there any way to figure out what triggered the 13.101.xxx.xxx address?

Can I see this somewhere? Is it an attachment?

But, then again, maybe it is not Mailwasher... I have no idea.

Thanks.
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: Unusual activity detected

Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:43 am

I got the same thing on a couple of my Hotmail/Outlook accounts. Like you, rather than my IP address, the IP addresses recorded by Microsoft began with 13.101.

In my case, MailWasher was blocked from accessing the accounts and I had to go into the Security section of my Microsoft account and tell them that it was okay. Since then I've had no further problems accessing the accounts using MailWasher, and the IP address recorded there has returned to normal.

I don't know what caused it, but if you check in the MailWasher logs for the account, there was a message there about the warning. So it seems pretty clear that it is related to MailWasher, though what MailWasher is doing to alert Microsoft is unclear.

I reported it to Firetrust when it happened, but got no response. Now that someone else has seen it, I'll report it again.
Windows 10
mw62
Active Albatross

Re: Unusual activity detected

Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:23 pm

Seems to be a Microsoft thing. Basically nothing to worry about.

See: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/out ... 543?page=1
and: https://www.tenforums.com/network-shari ... ost2448886

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”