Add domain to blacklist, not subdomain also

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
omegatx
Mystified Moa

Add domain to blacklist, not subdomain also

Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:56 pm

Currently, if you right-click a post and select "add domain to blacklist," the entire top domain, as well as the subdomain, are added (ie: subdomain.domain.com). Is there a quick way or feature that will perform the same right click add that will add only the top domain? The reason I ask is that many spammers use rotating subdomains. If I were able to simply right-click and add only the top domain, it would blacklist any subdomains that are being used with the original top domain.

Thanks for clarifying...
---
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Re: Add domain to blacklist, not subdomain also

Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:34 pm

Sorry but no, currently no way to do this via right click or any shortcut unfortunately, (good suggestion though!) however you can create a wildcard for this....

To do this, click Settings>>Spam Tools>>Blacklist, select, "Wildcard Expression" and type in the below as per your example, if the address was:

user@subdomain.domain.com

You would add:

*domain.com

And click Add.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:14 pm

In addition to what gingbat has mentioned, another optional way of doing it would be to:—

(Navigate to) Spam Tools >> (select the blacklisted sub-domain,) user@subdomain.domain.com >> Edit >> (delete the sub-domain portion until it becomes a domain) user@domain.com >> Save.

Though, they empower you with options — these are merely workarounds. ;)
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
omegatx
Mystified Moa

Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:33 am

Too bad this is not a normal feature. The use of subdomains is increasing in my opinion. Not sure if the mailwasher staff ever read these posts, but adding this ability on a right-click basis, in my opinion, would be a much-appreciated added feature.

Paul---
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:00 am

Yep, indeed they (me) do.... :) and yes, added to the suggestion list again as it's been requested several times in the past.... cheers!
LordIngo
It begins with a single step

Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:18 am

Can this get moved to the top of the list, Please?
This seems to be a pretty simple change. When you click Add Domain to Blacklist, having Mailwasher add *. to the beginning of the entry going into the Blacklist automatically - (prepend). I'm seeing massive amounts of spam coming into my mailbox every day with rotating subdomains. This forces me to do this manually, which is ok once in a while. But doing it every day its becoming annoying as hell. Especially since a fair portion those emails aren't being flagged as spam and instead are unknown.
jomo99
It begins with a single step

Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:29 pm

Quite simply the software offers adding a domain to the blacklist.
Quality assurance should pick up that the software is not doing what it specifies if the subdomain component is added with the main domain. As a previous writer has said, rolling subdomain variations are a pain in the neck.
My workaround is editing one entry to *.domain in the blacklist and deleting the others. Simple but it would be nice if the program did the job automatically. If I select the 'black' option button on a coffee machine, I would not be pleased to get a latte.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”