Hotmail not Deleting on POP3 Download

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
crazy4mail
Student Sheep

Hotmail not Deleting on POP3 Download

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:58 am

Sorry if repeating topic but I cannot find similar.

MWP 7.12.97

Hotmail via POP3 is not deleting from server after download to local mail client.

Have tried switching both Pipelining settings to on and off in MWP.

Have also been to outlook.live > Account > Settings > All Settings > Advanced Settings > Sync Email.... and enabled both radio buttons regarding POP handling and POP deletion.

My other POP3 (non-hotmail) account is deleting fine after download.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Re: Hotmail not Deleting on POP3 Download

Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:26 am

Yes, as the Hotmail inbox is the same mail server MW shows mail at when checking mail, any mail still on the server in the inbox must display when using POP, best option is to change to IMAP in MW, that way you can set it to only show unread emails, or mail from XX days etc.

In MWPro click, Settings>>Accounts, click your email account, click the Incoming tab, and beside "Server Type:" select IMAP in place of POP.
Click save to save changes.

Then, MW will only show new unread emails by default, not ALL of them.... (settings for display however are in the inbox tab for this account under Advanced)
crazy4mail
Student Sheep

Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:10 am

Thanks gingbat - I changed to IMAP for the Hotmail account and as you say the mail is only downloaded once to my local client once (which is good).

Then I have to remember (quickly before any new mail arrives or I might accidentally delete new mail) to go back into MWP 7 and mark each Hotmail mail manually as Trash and then I have to manually Wash Mail. After that I have to go into the MWP 7 Recycle Bin and then manually Empty Bin.

This works - it deals with my email - but it seems rather long-winded. With my other old-fashioned ISP POP3 email account I click on Wash Mail and it simply downloads my email to my local mail client and removes it automatically from the server (how I like it).

Is this just a Hotmail thing or am I missing something here?

Thanks.
gingbat

Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:31 am

crazy4mail wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:10 am
Then I have to remember (quickly before any new mail arrives or I might accidentally delete new mail) to go back into MWP 7 and mark each Hotmail mail manually as Trash and then I have to manually Wash Mail. After that I have to go into the MWP 7 Recycle Bin and then manually Empty Bin.

This works - it deals with my email - but it seems rather long-winded. With my other old-fashioned ISP POP3 email account I click on Wash Mail and it simply downloads my email to my local mail client and removes it automatically from the server (how I like it).

No, no need to delete from the recycle bin, that's just a copy of what emails were deleted, the actual emails themselves are already deleted.
Note you can set how long you want MW to display emails for in the bin under Settings>>Spam Tools>>Recycle Bin.

And yes, POP and IMAP work the same in MWpro, but differently in an actual email client....

Note also, MWPro does not download then transfer the email to your email program, it simply leaves any mail you do not delete on the mail server for any email program to collect,

So, after you check mail in MW, click Wash Mail delete any spam, then MW opens, (or you open manually) your email program and download any remaining emails, the difference between POP and IMAP is that when the email program (Not MW) is setup as POP, it removes the mail from the server after download, where as IMAP mirrors what is on the server.

SO.... after you read emails in your email program using IMAP, they'll be marked as read on the server, so when you next check mail in MW, as it is set to only show new unread emails, they'll disappear from the list, but still be on the server.
crazy4mail
Student Sheep

Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:05 am

Okay - I get it now - the Recycle Bin is just a copy and the Hotmail messages are left on the server.

So, once in a while I still need to log into Hotmail (outside of MWpro) to manually delete the accumulating emails that have been left there (due to the nature of IMAP).

In the meantime my old POP3 account comes down off the server completely because it is POP3.

Is this understanding looking about right?
gingbat

Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:43 am

Yep, perfect! :thumbsup
crazy4mail
Student Sheep

Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:38 am

Thank you for the help.
gingbat