Some mail not going through Mail Washer

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
paulelsa
Student Sheep

Some mail not going through Mail Washer

Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:07 pm

I have noticed that occasionally some mail will just appear in Outlook inbox without being checked by Mailwasher Pro. The program is open and operating, but there is no record of it in either the inbox or the Recycle Bin - just in my inbox of Window 10 Outlook or my iphone mail. The one today was actually a scam trying to extort money. A bit worried that hackers may have discovered a way to by-pass Mail Washer checks.
Elektra
Active Albatross

Re: Some mail not going through Mail Washer

Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:24 pm

This often happens to me and I expect to most other MW users. If you look at the time the phantom mail was sent it coincides with the time between having checked your mail and clicking on the wash mail button. I may be wrong but I think the only way to avoid this is, after having marked which mails you want deleted, to check your mail again just prior to washing it.

Yes, sometimes the mail that slips through is a scam, but not always. So, I don't think scammers have found a way to slip past MW.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:51 pm

paulelsa wrote:
I have noticed that occasionally some mail will just appear in Outlook inbox without being checked by Mailwasher Pro.
MailWasher does not possess the capability of directly influencing Outlook (or, for that matter . . . any other e-mail client) except for one — it can be configured to trigger the client as soon as it has finished washing mails.

What MailWasher possesses, though . . . is the capability to poll, move and delete your mails on the web server — the same server from where your e-mail client, too . . . retrieves your mail.

In other words, MailWasher and Outlook (or, for that matter . . . any other e-mail client) function completely independent of each other.

paulelsa wrote:
The program is open and operating, but there is no record of it in either the inbox or the Recycle Bin - just in my inbox of Window 10 Outlook or my iphone mail.
Outlook (or, for that matter . . . any other e-mail client) is usually configured (rightly so) to delete mails on the server — therefore, once it retrieves your mail from the server, there remains no record of it either in the (MailWasher) Inbox or the (MailWasher) Recycle Bin. It is better to disable Outlook (or, for that matter . . . any other e-mail client) from performing auto mail-checks of any kind — this prevents the odd e-mail from slipping through. ;)

You might want to checkout the following topic for a walk-through:—
viewtopic.php?p=74278&sid=8ca9f52f02f5d ... cd4#p74278

paulelsa wrote:
A bit worried that hackers may have discovered a way to by-pass Mail Washer checks.
As Elektra has also remarked, that is not the case . . . at all. :lol:
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
paulelsa
Student Sheep

Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:32 pm

MailWasher does not possess the capability of directly influencing Outlook (or, for that matter . . . any other e-mail client) except for one — it can be configured to trigger the client as soon as it has finished washing mails.
I wasn't saying I thought MailWasher influenced e-mail clients, just wondering why it seems to fail to pick up some emails.
If you look at the time the phantom mail was sent it coincides with the time between having checked your mail and clicking on the wash mail button. I may be wrong but I think the only way to avoid this is, after having marked which mails you want deleted, to check your mail again just prior to washing it.
I know Elektra had this explanation, but the arrival was not at a time I was actively using MailWasher. It may have done an automatic check but I wasn't around to press the wash button. Does this open up a vulnerabilty that could be fixed with a tweak to the program or am I missing something?
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:15 pm

paulelsa wrote:
I wasn't saying I thought MailWasher influenced e-mail clients, just wondering why it seems to fail to pick up some emails.
MailWasher is just like a mirror — it can only reflect mails which are present on the web server . . . MailWasher cannot reflect mails which have been retrieved and in the process (already) deleted, by your e-mail client.

paulelsa wrote:
If you look at the time the phantom mail was sent it coincides with the time between having checked your mail and clicking on the wash mail button. I may be wrong but I think the only way to avoid this is, after having marked which mails you want deleted, to check your mail again just prior to washing it.
I know Elektra had this explanation, but the arrival was not at a time I was actively using MailWasher. It may have done an automatic check but I wasn't around to press the wash button.
Exactly the point — your e-mail client, Outlook (not MailWasher) . . . might have performed an automatic mail-check, retrieved the mail and already deleted the same from the server (while MailWasher was not in active use) . . . hence, MailWasher cannot possibly be expected to see mails which are no longer present on the server.

By the way, mails can slip through into the e-mail client . . . regardless of whether MailWasher was in use or not.

paulelsa wrote:
Does this open up a vulnerabilty that could be fixed with a tweak to the program or am I missing something?
Well, to what "vulnerability" are you referring?
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:13 am

Just to add my 2 cents to TrustFire's posts.... :)

Most importantly, although it appears MW sends mail to your email program, it does not....Mailwasher never ever sends, transfers or moves any email on to your email program.

- Mail arrives on the mail server.
- Mailwasher checks for new mail on the mail server and displays it. The email will remain on the mail server.
- Mailwasher deletes the unwanted mail from the mail server.
- Good remaining mail stays on the mail server.
- Your email program starts and downloads the remaining email from the mail server all by itself.

You see Mailwasher is not involved in the process getting the email from the mail server to your email program.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”