Failed to log into IMAP server

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
DonnyB
Mystified Moa

Failed to log into IMAP server

Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:46 am

New user that just set up MW Free. I entered all the IMAP info into MW, which I believe is all correct. I am using Thunderbird on a Win11 computer. Am I missing something?
As the title suggests, I am getting an error message, "Failed to log into IMAP server" in the event log. The MW inbox does not show any emails.
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Re: Failed to log into IMAP server

Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:31 am

Yes, check your settings against those in TBird, ensure you also select any required options under Advanced in the incoming tab for this account in MW, if no better, check the log under Help>>User File>>Logs, open the file that looks something like:

MWPapp_your_email_account_com.log

It should tell you in there the reason for the failure, you're welcome to post it here if you want us to take a look, just be sure to ### out any personal details in the log. (email address, username)
DonnyB
Mystified Moa

Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:37 am

I have checked everything you suggested and everything the log suggested (see log below). My email is an IMAP with port 993, and SSL/TLS. This same info is shown in MW advanced incoming tab. I am at a total loss here.
BTW, I do not have an antivirus scanner, and Google says the Less Secure Apps is no longer used.

Description: Failed to login to server "imap.gmail.com" for your “my email address” account.
Diagnosis:
This could suggest the following problems:

1 - Less Secure Apps is disabled for your Account.
- Your username or password is incorrect.
- The server address is incorrect.
- You are trying to connect through an invalid port.

Recommended Actions
Be sure Less Secure Apps is set to ON here https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps
Make sure your username and password are correct for this login.
Check your incoming server address is correct.
Ensure your incoming port settings are correct.
It can also help to disable your AntiVirus email scanner, this does not put you at further risk as the real-time scanner is still protecting you. MailWasher did not detect a specific AntiVirus email scanner installed so this may not apply.
gingbat

Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:27 am

No problem... could you please send me your logs there.

- Use MWPro until you get the error/problem.
- Click Help>>Send Support Logs.
- Type: Jeremy into the: "Have a ticket number?" field.
- Click "Send Logs"

Then, reply to this email to let me know the logs have been sent in case they do not arrive for any reason.
DonnyB
Mystified Moa

Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:15 am

The error logs have been sent
gingbat

Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:24 pm

Fantastic, got them fine thanks, and yes, all accounts show the same error:

02-01-2023 12:00:42.051 Info IMAP SERVER LOGIN: mw2 NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)

So that means that the password is still incorrect... possibly the gmail server is getting confused on which account you are settings up and you're getting a app password for another account rather than the one you are currently trying to setup....

Try deleting all accounts from MW and close MW.
Log out of all gmail accounts in your web browser,
Restart the browser and log back into one gmail account in the browser
Setup an app password for that account, then to to MW and setup the account as below...

Open MWPro and click, Settings>>Accounts>>Add Email Account, enter a name for the account and your Gmail email address, click Save.
On the Incoming tab enter your new Gmail app password and click Save again.

If all OK, log out of that account in the web browser, then repeat for the other accounts....
DonnyB
Mystified Moa

Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:08 am

I am at a total loss for an explanation. I tried exactly as suggested above. The results for all the testing are the same: "Failed to connect to server"
I also tried some other things, again, with the same results.
1) I tried your suggestion above with each email address, and then with 2 email addresses (instead of just one email address)
2) I added one email address and entered the password incorrectly.
3) I created a new gmail account and did not add it to Thunderbird. The thinking here is that Tbird is creating a problem of some sort.
4) I uninstalled my password manager. The thinking is that it is messing with the password in MW.
5) I use Win11, so possibly that could be the problem. Not sure how I could test this without a major project of going back to Win10.
gingbat

Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:21 am

Yes, pretty odd alright. your settings in MW itself should look like this, (according to the log they already do though):

download.png
download.png (34.7 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Did you turn on 2 step verification and setup an app password successfully?

Checkout the details on how to do this here:

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... ic=2954345

THEN, setup an app password to use in MWPro:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

If you did all that, and it's still not working for any account, yes, that's really odd alright... possibly check the accounts for any messages about gmail blocking you...?
DonnyB
Mystified Moa

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:34 am

Finally!
I uninstalled MW and re-installed it, then set up 2 step verification on one account, then setup an app pwd on that account, and it finally works.
Thanks for the help.
gingbat

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:19 am

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”