Does Mailwasher actually delete anything?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
totalwise
Rattled Rabbit

Does Mailwasher actually delete anything?

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:14 am

I feel like I'm on a infinite training loop where I'm teaching mailwasher what emails are spam but it does do anything by itself. Sure it correctly identfies most spam - but it still requires me to press the wash button?

Does it delete anything by itself and where can I see the deleted messages?
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Re: Does Mailwasher actually delete anything?

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:23 am

No, it cannot auto wash as such, but you can setup MW to auto delete a lot of your spam, and if you set MWpro to check mail every XX mins, (Settings>>General>>Checking Mail) it'll remove any mail the spam tools or filters catch......

To auto delete senders you have already added to your blacklist for example, click Settings>>Spam Tools>>Blacklist>>Options, tick, "Auto delete blacklisted emails".

You can also set your filters, (Settings>>Spam Tools>>Filters>>click a filter>>Edit) to auto delete by selecting this option under the Actions tab there...

And to set MW to auto delete any email that comes in over a specific spam rating, click Settings>>Spam Tools>>Spam Ratings, and tick, "Auto delete if rating reaches:"

Note however, I recommend you read this first before enabling the last option:

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7214

Re where do the deleted emails go, they are deleted from the mail server directly so are gone for good, however MW sends the part of each email it downloads to the recycle bin within MWPro so you can restore it later if need be.

Note however that MWPro can only restore the part of each email that it downloads, and in order to restore attachments, MW needs to download all of each email so It can restore the entire content (and usually the attachment, but this depends on what attachment it is) as well as the header information....

If you wish to have that capability for all deleted emails, in MWPro click, Settings>>General>>Checking mail, drag the "Spam Throttle" slider to maximum to increase how many lines it downloads, just note however that this may make MW pretty slow if you have 100s of emails each day....
The Enforcer
Student Sheep

Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:46 am

Hi,

I have a Hotmail email, now administered by Outlook.com. When I wash mail and then go into Outlook.com I find that this puts all spam I have marked for delete in a folder called 'recovered items' or 'deletions', which is where mail in the 'deleted' folder goes if I delete it manually in Outlook.com. Would the spam end up in the same place if marked for auto-delete?

Many Thanks,
TE
gingbat

Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:19 pm

No, MW is unrelated to any settings you have going in Outlook, as when you use MW to delete mail, mail is deleted before it reaches Outlook....

However, if you use IMAP (as opposed to POP) in Outlook and MW, you should be able to choose which folder you want the mail server to move deleted mail into, note however that this sometimes causes mail check issues, so if so, you'll need to disable the below...

In MWPro click Settings>>Accounts, click the account>>Incoming tab>>>Advanced, select, "Move Deleted messages into folder" and choose what folder you want to use and click Save.
The Enforcer
Student Sheep

Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:21 pm

gingbat wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:19 pm
No, MW is unrelated to any settings you have going in Outlook, as when you use MW to delete mail, mail is deleted before it reaches Outlook....

However, if you use IMAP (as opposed to POP) in Outlook and MW, you should be able to choose which folder you want the mail server to move deleted mail into, note however that this sometimes causes mail check issues, so if so, you'll need to disable the below...

In MWPro click Settings>>Accounts, click the account>>Incoming tab>>>Advanced, select, "Move Deleted messages into folder" and choose what folder you want to use and click Save.
Thank you for reply. I have just used mail wash to delete 11 blacklisted spam emails and when I have opened hotmail they are all in the recoverable items folder. The 'Move deleted messages into folder' is blank.

Cheers,
TE
gingbat

Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:17 am

Great, must be something to do with the actual mail server settings then, as if unchecked, MW itself wont move deleted emails anywhere... good to hear it's working how you want anyways though.... :thumbsup
The Enforcer
Student Sheep

Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:09 am

gingbat wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:17 am
Great, must be something to do with the actual mail server settings then, as if unchecked, MW itself wont move deleted emails anywhere... good to hear it's working how you want anyways though.... :thumbsup
So am I correct in assuming that using auto-delete with an unchecked 'move deleted items to' setting will mean the deleted mail ends up in the same place as present?
gingbat

Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:38 am

Yes, auto delete works exactly like mark for delete, but automatically... should be exactly the same....
The Enforcer
Student Sheep

Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:46 am

Thanks for your help. I have just turned on auto-delete for anything I have blacklisted and will use filters to try and catch anything that is not easily blacklisted. I have just auto-deleted one with a filter and can see that it is in the recoverable items folder as expected, meaning I could restore any accidental deletions from there.
gingbat

Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:22 pm

:thumbsup

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”